Friday, September 25, 2015

HONEY CHIP COOKIES

I usually check out Dil Sara's cookbooks when we go visit our son Jeffrey and his family for interesting sounding recipes. If you read my blog often, you probably know how excited I was to see her newest addition called Amish-Country Cookbook, Volume 1. It contains favorite recipes gathered by Das Dutchman Essenhaus, a restaurant in Middlebury, Indiana owned by Bob and Sue Miller. If the recipe is one contributed by an employee of the restaurant, they give the person's name and their job.

Honey Chip Cookies is a favorite of Karen Lehman, a waitress. The recipe appealed to me because of the limited sugar and it only makes about 3 dozen cookies. I usually cut a recipe down if it makes a lot of cookies...unless I am making them for a gathering. Well, I wasn't disappointed in the results. The recipe makes a really good tasting chocolate chip cookie. Karen didn't include any directions for mixing the ingredients. I just mixed them up as I am accustomed to doing. I also reduced the cookie time as they would have been burned had I cooked them the time Karen indicated.


HONEY CHIP COOKIES

1/3       cup shortening
1/2       cup honey
1           egg
1           teaspoon vanilla
1/2       cup nuts
1-1/4    cup flour
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/4       teaspoon salt
1           small pkg chocolate chips (6 - ounces or 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.

Cream shortening and honey til smooth.

Add egg and vanilla.

Combine the flour, soda, and salt in a small bowl.

Add dry ingredients all at once and mix.

Add nuts and chips.

Drop dough about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. I use a small scoop that holds a tablespoon of water to make my cookies. After I dropped the dough on the cookie sheet, I turn in over so the flat side is more on top. (Looks like I didn't take a picture of the second sheet when I turned the dough over. They flatten more this way than if I just drop the dough onto the sheet straight from the scoop.)

Bake 10 minutes or until lightly brown.

Remove immediately to cool on wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment