Tuesday, April 14, 2015

WASHINGTON COOKIES

I'm having a lot of fun finding recipes for cookies that make 4 - 6 dozen cookies and then cutting the recipe in half to make only 2 - 3 dozen. That way I don't make so many and they stay fresh. I have personally liked having cookies in the cookie jar for those time I just want a "little sweet". I do have to be careful that I don't visit the cookie jar too often though.

Sunday night I picked up one of my latest acquistions from an estate sale - a cookbook -  to see if I might find some recipes to try this week. I have decided that is the most effective way. It helps if I am looking for recipes for specific occasions. Otherwise I end up with lots of recipes marked and then I don't remember them.

I decided to make these yesterday morning for my husband to take to the tax office. My time was limited and I needed to make something that would be quick. These cookies were just perfect. 

The cookbook was compiled by the Wakefield (KS) United Methodist Church. This particular recipe was submitted by Mrs. William H. Avery, wife of a former Kansas Governor. Mr. Avery, who was born in Wakefield, was governor from 1965 - 67. He died in 2009. I wish I knew the story of the cookies....why she called them Washington Cookies. Anyway they were very good and my husband said the people in the tax office liked them.

The amounts in parenthesis is what I used when I cut the recipe in half and any other personal note.


WASHINGTON COOKIES

1-1/2    cups flour (3/4 cup)
1           teaspoon baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
1           teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon)
1           cup margarine (1/2 cup - 1 stick)
3/4      cup brown sugar (6 tablespoons - I used 3 tablespoons brown sugar blend)
3/4     cup granulated sugar (6 tablespoons - I used 3 tablespoons truvia baking blend)
2         eggs (1 egg)
1          teaspoon vanilla (1/2 teaspoon)
1          cup chopped walnuts (1/2 cup)
2         cups rolled oats (1 cup old fashioned oats)
1          pkg. chocolate bits (1/2 cup - I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray cookies with cooking spray.

Sift flour and then measure out amount for recipe. Sift the flour again with the baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream margarine with both sugars til smooth.

Beat eggs into the margarine/sugar mixture.

Add vanilla and mix well.

Stir in dry ingredients.

Add the nuts, oats, and chocolate chips; 
mix all thoroughly.

Drop onto cookie sheet with cookie scoop (1 tablespoon) and
bake for 12 minutes until light brown.
Remove and cool on wire rack.









Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies. With my substitutions and decreased amounts, I made 2-1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment