Thursday, April 9, 2015

KEY LIME CAKE

"So refreshing!" That's how Friend Sue described this Key Lime Cake and that pretty much sums it up. 

Earlier this week I shared the Lemon Cake that Friend Dorothy made and served at her house. While I was diving into my piece, I couldn't help but wonder how it would taste using key lime juice. Well, I didn't wait long to give it a try.

The results were more than I expected. I made it to go along with the Pineapple Cheesecake Squares I made for our bridge friends Because Ed can't have dairy. Turns out most of the people chose the Key Lime Cake when I gave them the choice. It turned out okay though because I just took most of the leftovers the next day to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and the volunteers downstairs really appreciated it.



KEY LIME CAKE

1        yellow cake mix - one without the pudding in the mix ( used a sugar free yellow cake mix)
3/4   cup salad oil (I used canola oil)
4       large eggs
1        pkg  (4 serving size) lime jello mix (I used a sugar free one.)
1        cup hot water
1        teaspoon key lime juice (I used bottled Key lime juice)

GLAZE:

2       cups powdered sugar
1/4    cup Key lime juice (I used bottled Key lime juice)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Heat water in a large measuring cup in microwave. Add the lime jello and stir to dissolve.


Empty cake mix into mixing bowl. Add the oil and beat on low to combine.

Add the eggs - one - at - a - time, beating well after each addition.

Slowly add the dissolved jello mix and on low speed stir til combine . (I added it all at once, BUT I would highly recommend that you add it slowly with mixer on low speed. I almost had a mess!)

Pour batter into 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

Bake cake for 35 minutes.

While cake is baking, combine the powdered sugar and juice and stir til sugar completely dissolves for the glaze.
Remove cake from oven....

cut slits in the top with a sharp knife.

Immediately pour glaze over the top of the cake making sure the glaze fills the slits.


Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment