Tuesday, April 21, 2015

CHICKEN CASSEROLE

My husband called this "chicken pot pie without the crust". I guess you could. It almost works. It does include the cube stuffing that gives you some "crust" taste. Whatever you call it, it made a delicious casserole for us for dinner with plenty of leftovers.

The recipe was contributed by Nettie Elsasser. I reduced the ingredients and made a few more changes, but her recipe got me started. It is another recipe from the Wakefield Community Cooks cookbook I got at an estate sale. So far the recipes I have tried from it have been really good and well received.



CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1       13 oz can chicken breast in water or about 2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken
1       12 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
2      cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned cube stuffing
1       10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
1/2    cup shredded/grated cheese (I used shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese)
1/2    cup chicken broth or water (I used the water from the canned chicken)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish about 9-1/2 inches with nonstick cooking spray.


Combine all of the ingredients in a LARGE bowl to mix thoroughly. (I have the large yellow Tupperware bowl that I have had FOREVER that is just perfect for this. I even bought another one at an estate sale because it comes in so handy. It also works great for kneading dough. The flour is so easy to contain.)


Pour into dish and 


bake for 45 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment