Saturday, April 4, 2015

BANANA-0AT BRAN MUFFINS

This is a totally healthy muffin you can eat and not feel guilty. (I think just 3 tablespoons of brown sugar spread out in all of the muffins is okay.) Cut out of the newspaper somewhere (probably in CA), I pulled it from my "Recipes to Try" file and thought they would be perfect for the weekend. 

They are pictured in muffin paper cup liners, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to enjoy them warm. See note below. I had extra batter after making the 12 regular sized muffins (that's what the recipe said it would make) and made 9 mini muffins without liners. Extra treat!

I hope everyone reading this has a happy Easter, if you celebrate it. If you don't, have a fun weekend.



BANANA-OAT BRAN MUFFINS

1         cup oat bran
1         cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1         teaspoon baking powder
1         teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4     teaspoon salt
1-1/4  cups mashed ripe bananas (3 of my bananas were perfect)
2        large eggs
1/2     cup skim milk
3        tablespoons brown sugar or honey (I did use the brown sugar)
1/4     cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffins tin(s) with cooking spray.


Combine oat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center by spreading the mixture up the sides of the bowl leaving an indention or well in the center.


In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, milk, sugar, and oil. Beat with a fork until blended.


Add to the dry ingredients, all at once, pouring it in the "well". Mix with fork until just moistened.


Spoon into muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. I made 12 regular size muffins and 9 mini muffins.
I filled the 3 empty cups half way with water so that the muffins would bake evenly.
Bake for 20 minutes for regular sized muffins 
and 15 minutes for the mini muffins, or til golden.


Remove from pans and cool on rack.








Note: You will notice I used paper cup liners for the regular sized muffins. This is what was directed in the recipe. I don't usually like to use the paper liners because the muffin often sticks. I made the mini muffins by just spraying the cups with non stick cooking spray. My husband wanted to eat one of the bigger ones while they were still warm and it stuck to the paper. After they were cold, the paper peeled away fairly clean. The mini muffins worked great; no problem getting them out of the pan. So if you want to enjoy them warm, forget the paper cup liners. If you plan to serve them cold, it should work with the liners.

No comments:

Post a Comment