Monday, August 18, 2014

PEACH & BERRY BAKE

After breakfast this morning my husband and I walked in the neighborhood.  We should have gotten up a little earlier because it was already warming up by the time we set out.  (We are finally going to have temps this week in the low 90s.)  It has been a crazy summer here in KCMO with below normal temps.  Of course my husband is loving it. He actually told me the other day (when it was only in the 70s) that if the summers were like this, he thought the winters wouldn't bother him at all.  I will have to remind him of that statement this winter.

Anyway, we walked this morning. Why? 1) I need to get back into a routine of walking. and 2) I knew I was going to be making this Peach & Berry Bake today.  I did help out with the calories by using stevia for the sugar, but it didn't call for much anyway.

Right now blueberries especially are abundant and at a really good price in the stores and peaches are also available.  The combination of the two are simply scrumptious. We added a small scoop of ice cream. It was a small scoop.

I found the recipe in my Sunset Recipe Annual, 1989 Edition cookbook.  It was submitted by Alice Kirkpatrick from Redding, CA.




PEACH & BERRY BAKE

1       tablespoon cornstarch
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2    cup sugar, separated (I used stevia)
4       cups sliced peeled peaches (It took about 6 medium peaches for me.)
1       cup blueberries, rinsed
1       cup all - purpose flour
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/4    cup margarine (1/2 stick)
1       large egg
3/4    cup orange juice
2       tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a shallow 1-1/2 to 2 quart baking dish, mix the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Stir in peaches and blueberries.


Combine the flour, baking powder, and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. With your fingers or with a pastry cutter, cut in the margarine until it assumes the texture of coarse cornmeal. (TIP - I thinly slice the margarine and it breaks up easier with the dry ingredients using my fingers.

Add the egg, and stir to mix well.


Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the fruit in the dish.


Mix the orange juice and the lemon juice and pour evenly over the topping.


Bake about 45 minutes or until it is bubbly and topping is golden brown.


Serve warm or cool.  Makes 8 or 9 servings.
With a little ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment