Sunday, August 24, 2014

LEMON BLUEBERRY BUNDT CAKE WITH HONEY LEMON GLAZE

Blueberries are so plentiful right now.  Cheapest price I have seen in the stores in a long, long time.  I have frozen two gallon freezer bags full and still have 4 or 5 dry pints in the refrigerator that I haven't frozen yet. But that means I will have blueberries all year to cook with.

Because of all of this, I have been on a mission searching out blueberry recipes in some of my "newer" cookbooks.  (Would you believe Friend Janice and I went to an estate sale that didn't have one cookbook for sale?  We couldn't believe it either. I think I made up for it though at the next sale we went to.  I have to say, I have found some really, really good cookbooks this summer.)

Oops, in teaching, we call that "bird walking".  Back to the recipe.  I found a delicious recipe in the cookbook called Quick Fixes with Mixes  (Cakes, Cookies, Bars, & Goodies. Great Tasting Desserts Made with Mixes) by Lia Wilson. I took Lia's recipe and made some changes and came up with my own version of her cake.

Delicious really doesn't describe it enough.  My husband said it was one of the better cakes I had made.  From him, this is quite a compliment. It is so moist and just full of blueberries. The volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop where I volunteer also thought it was really good.




LEMON BLUEBERRY BUNDT CAKE with HONEY LEMON GLAZE

1          sugar - free yellow cake mix
2         teaspoons lemon extract
1          sugar - free vanilla instant pudding mix
1          cup blueberry non - fat Greek yogurt
3         eggs
1/3      cup canola oil
2         cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (I used fresh ones.)
2         tablespoons flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 - cup Bundt cake pan.


In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, lemon extract, yogurt, eggs, and oil. Beat on low speed to blend, then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. 
Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.


In a small bowl, gently toss the blueberries with the flour to coat. (This will help keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the cake as it bakes.)



Empty just the coated blueberries in the cake batter.
(Discard the unused flour)


Carefully fold the blueberries into the batter.


Pour batter into pan and spread it out evenly.


Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or til done.  Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cake.  When done, it will come out clean.


Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. 








During this 10 minutes prepare the Honey Lemon Glaze.

HONEY LEMON GLAZE

2       tablespoons stevia or sugar
1/4    cup honey
1        tablespoon lemon juice
1        tablespoon margarine


In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring stevia or sugar, honey, lemon juice to boil, stirring constantly.

Boil gently for 1 minute.
Remove from heat. (I forgot to take pictures. Oops.)

Let cool for several minutes, 



Remove cake from pan and place on platter.


then spread the glaze over the cake using a spoon.


See how the berries are throughout the cake. Yummy!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment