Monday, August 4, 2014

MOM'S FRUIT COBBLER (NO ADDED SUGAR)

What a treasure chest of recipes! I'm talking about my Colonial Cooks! cookbook I got at an estate sale. It was compiled by members of Colonial Presbyterian Church in Overland Park, KS. I have found so many great recipes in it.

This one simply called Mom's Fruit Cobbler was submitted by Sue Gallion. It was written for blueberries but she said you could also use peaches, cherries or any other fruit. I decided to leave her original title even though I used fresh peaches in mine. I am anxious to try it with other fruit.




MOM'S  FRUIT COBBLER

3       cups fresh or frozen fruit -- blueberries, peaches, cherries, or any other fruit
1        tablespoon lemon juice
1        cup flour
1        cup stevia or sugar
1/2    teaspoon salt
1        egg, beaten
6       tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (see note below)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  


Place prepared fruit (I had to peel and slice my peaches) in the bottom of a 9 x 9 - inch baking dish.

Sprinkle with lemon juice.


Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. 
Add the egg, 
tossing with a fork until crumbly.


Sprinkle evenly over fruit.


Drizzle with butter.  (I like to thinly slice the stick or 6 tablespoons) and evenly place the slices over the top. It always seems like I don't have enough when I melt the butter and drizzle it over the top.  Then I have too many places where the flour mixture is still dry. )

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

( I sprinkled my peach cobbler with cinnamon just before I served it.)

Serve warm with ice cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment