Tuesday, August 26, 2014

ECLAIR CAKE

It was another hot day (mid 90s) for us in KCMO yesterday. With the end of August on the horizon, we are finally having summer here. It may have been hot outside, but not inside as I hosted our Northland New Neighbors' Farkle group. There were 10 of us. That was large enough for us to have two tables. We help mix things up by having the winner and loser at each table trade places at the end of each game. I got to play with everyone but Carol because she never left the living room and I never left the kitchen. It was a fun afternoon.  

I have several recipes that I tried and will be sharing here, but right now I am only sharing the Eclair Cake.  Several wanted the recipe and I told them I would write it up and share it today.  It was really, really good.  I almost forgot to tell them it was sugar-free.  I did forget to tell them I had used 1/3 less fat cream cheese.  They were surprised it was sugar-free. And of course, you don't have to make it with less calories if you don't want to.

This is another recipe from the Gooseberry Patch  cookbook, 101 Homestyle Favorites that I got at a recent estate sale. This recipe was contributed by Cheryl Frost of Woodstock, OH. She says, "Luscious cream filling and chocolatey topping...best with a cold glass of milk!"  I am sure it is, but I didn't serve it with milk.




ECLAIR CAKE

1        cup water
1/2     cup margarine
1        cup all - purpose flour
4        eggs, beaten
1        8 - oz pkg cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
3        cups milk
2        3 - oz pkgs, instant vanilla pudding mix (I used sugar free mixes)
1        8 - oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used a sugar free one)
Garnish: chocolate syrup (I used a sugar free syrup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


Combine the water and margarine in a medium size saucepan; heat until boiling.


Whisk in the flour until smooth; remove from heat.
Pour mixture into a medium bowl; 


gradually blend in eggs. (This took a little bit of time because I only added a little at a time and made sure they were completely blended in before adding any more. 
I started with the whisk, but about half way through changed to my wooden spoon.)


Spread in prepared pan. The best way to do this is to drop spoonfuls around in the pan and then carefully spread the "globs" together.



Bake for 30 minutes.


Remove from the oven and using a wooden spoon press the baked crust down lightly


creating a "side" all the way around.

Set aside.






With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the cream cheese, milk, and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. It took me longer than 2 minutes to have a smooth consistency. I think my cream cheese wasn't as soft as I thought it was, also.  Ended up changing to the whisk on my mixer because you do want a smooth consistency.


Spread the cream cheese mixture in the pressed down crust. I spread it to the top of the "sides" but didn't go over.





Cover and refrigerate until firm. I did this much the night before.


The next day spread the whipped topping over the cream cheese mixture. Cover and return to refrigerator. 


Just before serving, 


drizzle with the chocolate syrup. (I let Janice do this for me. I don't "drizzle" well. Gotta learn.)


Cut into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment