Tuesday, June 24, 2014

PEANUT BUTTER CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER ICING

"Fantastic! Wow!"  That was Friend Fran's daughter Sheila comments after tasting this Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing. That just about says it all.

I am back in College United Methodist Church's cookbook Home Cookin' with another scrumptious recipe.  This one contributed by Eleanor Songer is so yummy.  How can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate? The cake is so moist and light. (Don't tell anybody, but I liked it even without the icing.) BUT the icing is one of those "better than...." icing.

Eleanor intended the cake to be a layer cake, but since I was making it for a picnic, I decided to make it in a Bundt pan instead. It worked out perfectly.  I had a lot of icing, but that just meant I really layered it on.

The recipe called for 2-1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter.  I bought an 18 - oz jar and it was about 1/2 cup short.  I ended up adding some natural peanut butter to it, but was shy the 2 cups for the icing.  Personally, I think the 18 - oz jar would be enough.  At first I only used half of the milk that the recipe called for, but ended up using the rest. In hindsight, I think, next time, I will add a little more milk and make it a little bit thinner and easier to spread.

It definitely was enjoyed by others at the picnic Sunday.  Friend Marilyn asked me if it was on my blog.  (She is having company this week and wanted to make it for them while they were here.)  I had to tell her not yet, but that I would get it on as soon as I could. Hope your family likes it, Marilyn.

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print friendly button on the bar at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to remove the images.  If you don't see the "printer" link, you need to click on the post title so that you are just seeing this post.





PEANUT BUTTER CAKE with CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER ICING

1         pkg. yellow cake mix
2-1/2  cups creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned or fresh ground) (I used an 18 - oz jar of reduced-fat creamy peanut butter.)
3/4      cup chocolate syrup (I used sugar-free chocolate syrup.)
8         oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I used 1 cup chocolate chips.)
1         cup powdered sugar
1/4 +  cup milk
chopped peanuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Use two 9 - inch round cake pans, greased and floured. (I used a tube pan, greased and floured.)


Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1/2 cup of peanut butter during the last minute of beating.


Divide the batter evenly between the two pans, if making the layer cake.  Pour batter evenly in the tube pan, if using a tube pan.


Bake til a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes for the round cake pans.  I cooked mine 35 minutes in the tube pan (as directed by cake mix box.)


Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on racks and cool.  I turned my tube cake onto the glass cake plate I was going to serve my cake from.


For the icing, combine the chocolate syrup and semi-sweet chocolate in a heavy small saucepan.


Stir constantly over low heat til chocolate is melted and mix is smooth.  (Doesn't take too long.)

Transfer the chocolate to a large bowl.


Stir in 2 cups of peanut butter (or the rest if using an 18 - oz jar), powdered sugar, and milk. I started using my wooden spoon, but decided it would be easier using the mixer.


Blend with mixer on low speed until smooth.  Fill free to add additional milk if the icing is too thick to spread.





If you made the layer cake, Eleanor says, " Place 1 cake on platter. Spread top with  1- 1/2 cups icing.  Top with second cake (layer). Spread top and sides with remaining icing. Garnish with chopped peanuts."


I had plenty of icing since I had made my cake in a tube pan. This allowed me plenty of icing to spread in the hole and around the bottom of the cake.  As I said earlier, the icing could have been a little thinner (for spreading), but it tasted just great.




TIP ALERT!  

Friend Carol told me today when she is adding peanut butter to recipes, she places it in the microwave and heats it for about 30 second (1 cup of peanut butter).  This thins it enough that it is then easy to mix.  I will try this next time.  Thanks, Carol.

No comments:

Post a Comment