Monday, June 16, 2014

NO SUGAR ADDED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

Finally back home after a quick weekend in Rome, GA for my husband's 50th High School Reunion. What a fun weekend! Can't wait to share it with you.  

I haven't been "around" for a bit because I also came down with bronchitis and a sinus infection (still taking my meds) but feel better every day. It is not a fun experience at all, and I have a lot to catch up with.

These blueberry muffins I made and shared with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop the last time I "worked". (I had to cancel last week's shift because of my illness.)  Anyway, they were so good. As I was leaving, Jerry asked me if I had made the muffins in the community room.  I told him I had and he said, "I knew you did. They are delicious." Thanks, Jerry.

This recipe from Holidays & Parties was contributed by Mary Lou Moore from Mira Mesa High School in San Diego, CA.  She said it was from a cookbook she wrote and dedicated to her husband, Dennis, who has Type 2 diabetes. She called them Sugar-Free Blueberry Muffins, but I changed it to No-Sugar-Added. The blueberries have natural sugar so technically they aren't sugar free; but they have no added sugar.




NO-SUGAR-ADDED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS


1/2       cup canola oil
3/4       cup skim milk
1          egg
1          teaspoon vanilla
2          cups flour
1/2       cup Splenda or stevia
1          tablespoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
1          cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen)
1          teaspoon lemon peel
1/2       cups walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray muffin cup with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine oil, milk, egg, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; mix until blended.

Combine remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and 


add the liquid ingredients.

Stir until you see just a little of the dry ingredients in the batter.

Do not overmix.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes our clean.

Remove and cool on wire rack.







1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. https://www.akccommodities.com/rice-distributors-usa Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more! basmati organic brown rice This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.

    ReplyDelete