Monday, June 23, 2014

IMPOSSIBLE PIE

Have you ever had a cookbook for years but then one day rediscovered it?  That's exactly what has happened to me.  Home Cookin' is a cookbook the women of College United Methodist Church in Ventura, CA compiled and sold in 1991. 

We had only been in CA about 3 years when the United Methodist Women started compiling the recipes. I have had success with several recipes in it, but recently I picked it up looking for a particular recipe.  Well, I haven't been able to put it down.  I started writing down on an index card of recipes I wanted to try.  Funny thing is, every time I pick it up I find a recipe to make that I didn't have written down on the card. The pineapple cookies I made and took to Hillcrest Tuesday is one of those.

This recipe simply called Impossible Pie is one I had written down.  It was contributed by Doris Smith.  I would have included "coconut" in the title but Doris called it "Impossible Pie" because it is one of those pies that when the pie is done, it will have a bottom crust, custard middle, and a coconut top.  I absolutely love coconut pie especially coconut cream pie, but didn't have the ingredients to make that.  Since I like custard pie, I decided how could I go wrong.




IMPOSSIBLE PIE

4       eggs
1/4    cup butter/margarine (1/2 stick)
3/4    cup white sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of truvia baking blend)
1/2    cup flour
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/2    teaspoon baking powder
2       cups milk (I used skim milk)
1       cup coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)
1       teaspoon vanilla.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  I used a glass 10-inch pie plate so I reduced the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.


Put all ingredients in a blender in the order given.

Blend until mixture is smooth.


Pour into 10-inch pie plate 


and bake for 1 hour.

As the pie cools (on wire rack), pie will sink.  That's to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment