Sunday, June 8, 2014

HONEY OAT BROWNIES

I don't normally go into Hillcrest of Saturdays to volunteer, but before I left on Tuesday, Cindy asked me if I could work another shift later in the week (several are on vacation).  I agreed to come in the first shift on Saturday. (9:30 - 12:30)

I found this recipe for Honey Oat Brownies in a new cookbook I got at another estate sale that looked easy enough.  So Saturday morning I got up (a little later than I planned) and started making them.  When I put them in the oven and started to set the timer, I noticed the time and realized I wouldn't have time to let them cool to cut before I had to leave. Oops.

The mixture isn't a lot, in fact, I wasn't sure it was going to cover the bottom of the pan.  So they are not your normal looking brownies. But they sure are good!  Everyone else thought they were really good, also.  

Oh, I forgot to tell you....I had my husband cut them when they cooled.  I told him to eat one and if they tasted good, bring them to the shop and if they didn't taste good, to just throw them out.  Well, a little bit later, he walked in the door with them on a paper plate.  Jim, the shop manager, grabbed one before I could set the plate on the table in the community room.  Since I still hadn't tried one, I asked him how they were, and he said, "Good".  

The recipe came from a cookbook called Secrets of Fat-Free Baking by Sandra Woodruff, RD.  It is a very interesting cookbook. It contains "over 130 low-fat & fat-free recipes for scrumptious and simple-to-make cakes, cookies, brownies, muffins, pies, breads, plus many other tasty goodies". The chapters cover "fat-free baking at its best, fruitful fat substitutes, dairy fat substitutes, sweet fat substitutes, pruning fat, squashing fat and baking with reduced-fat margarine and light butter".  I have already marked several that I want to try.





HONEY OAT BROWNIES

3/4     cup quick-cooking oats
1/4     cup unbleached flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1/4     cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2     cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup truvia baking blend)
1/8     teaspoon baking powder
1/8     teaspoon salt (optional) (I did use it.)
1/4     cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
1/4     cup water
1        teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4     cup chopped walnuts (optional)  (I added these too)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray an 8 - inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the oats, flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Stir to mix well.

Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring well.


Spread the batter evenly in the pan. (As I said above, there isn't a lot of batter and will thinly cover the bottom of the pan.


Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are firm and the center is almost set.






Cool to room temperature, and then cut into 16 squares.





Each brownie using regular sugar has 75 calories.

FAT: 0.6 g
PROTEIN: 1.2 g
CHOLESTEROL: 0 mg
SODIUM: 18 mg
FIBER: 1.1 g
CALCIUM: 6 mg
POTASSIUM: 33 mg
IRON: 0.5 mg


2 comments:

  1. I somehow came across your site when I was looking for something else and I made you honey oat brownies - what can I say - so easy to make and so tasty and much healthier than normal brownies. Thanks I am about to make another batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear! I have had a number of successes from this cookbook. Hope you will check them out. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete