Thursday, December 12, 2013

A BUSY DECEMBER THURSDAY

Today started off a little earlier than usual for me as I had an echo cardiogram done at 7:30. Will have to wait to hear from my doctor for the results.  (I have a heart murmur that the doctor first heard a year ago at my yearly checkup.)


Back home for about an hour and then I was off to the church for Blankets of Hope.  Our group was small again---just Fran, Janice, and me, but we did manage to tie a lap throw that Fran took home to sew the binding on.  I brought a Christmas throw that I had finished and Fran brought back what we call the "lobster quilt" that is big enough for a twin bed that she had sewed the binding on.  (I think she was the one that sewed the top together after they "laid" it out several months ago.)
















After a super good hamburger at 64 Tavern and Grill, Janice went to pick up Patricia and then the four of us were off to Kay's for a fun afternoon of Mexican Train.  Marilyn drove up right after we arrived at Kay's.

I had been at Kay's last Saturday night for the Dinner Club, a couples small group in the Northland New Neighbors League and enjoyed seeing all of her holiday quilts and stitchery works she has on display. Since I didn't take any pictures last Saturday night, I decided to do so today and share them with you. (Kay is so talented and I have to admit I am envious of her talents.)


Hope you enjoy her treasures.



















This is one Kay has been working on for over a year. The center is all embroidery with quilt squares making up the border.  This was hanging on her design wall. I couldn't get the whole top in my picture.











Here are some pictures of some of her stitchery.



These are some cute refrigerator magnets she made using plastic rings.  She embroidered the designs on the counted crossstitch material. Glued it to the back of the ring.  She then covered the back with a gold seal and glued a round magnet to it. I think these would look cute as an advent calendar.  With a calendar backdrop, each day of the week counting down to Christmas, you could add a different "magnet".





This was a cute wooden Santa, that I admit, none of us noticed and Kay pointed it out to us.  He will fit around any door frame or window frame.  He would be easy to make.







Here it is close up.  The black mittens are glued on top and help to keep it resting on the frame as they fit on the outside of the frame.















Kay served Hot Spiced Wine to enjoy while we played Mexican Train.  It was a recipe she got from Judy Anderson, a co-worker back in the mid 70s.  Everyone thought it was a perfect addition to our game.



HOT SPICED WINE


1     quart Burgundy wine
1     quart water
1     cup sugar (or more to suit your taste)
1     fresh lemon - thinly sliced
4     cinnamon sticks
14   whole cloves

Put all of the ingredients except the wine in a 2-1/2 quart pan and bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to low and add the wine. Serve hot.

Store leftovers back in wine bottle in refrigerator.

Note from Judy:  This is best when it sits a day in the refrigerator and reheated on low before serving.


For dessert Kay served her mother's recipe for SOFT GINGERBREAD.  I shared it earlier this year when Kay made it for a gather.  It is so good.












I'm looking forward to a quieter Friday and hopefully getting to work on my newest grandson, Henry's baby blanket.  Time is running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment