Friday, December 6, 2013

BANANA GINGERBREAD

Have you ever made something and then misplaced the recipe ? Well, that is what I did several weeks ago.  I made this delicious Banana Gingerbread and then couldn't find the recipe when I got ready to put it here on my blog.  I searched everywhere!  The bad thing was I had no recollection of anything about how the recipe looked....whether it was on a card, something I had cut out of the newspaper or magazine, or in a cookbook.  My mind was totally blank.  I really hated it because I LOVED the gingerbread.  

Then I decided to do a google search and see if anything looked familiar.  I found a couple of recipes but I knew they weren't the right ones.  They all called for cardamon and I knew I didn't use that.  (I'm not sure I even know what spice that is....I have heard of it, but never had any.)

With a little time on my hands, I decided to look again....afterall it has been at least 3 weeks since I made it. Not in my recipe box. Then I picked up my 4 subject spiral notebook that I have told you about before.  I started pasting recipes I wanted to try back in the 80s.  I was almost through the bread section and there was a recipe that wasn't glued.  It was for eggnog-nut stollen.  I turned it over and almost fainted.  There was the recipe for banana gingerbread. 

It was a prize tested recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Test Kitchens. I couldn't believe it.  It was a $100 winner for Deanna Burch from Mentone, Ind.  She was 14 years old and had decided to combine two favorite breads to make this holiday nut loaf. This was back in December, 1990.  Better Homes and Gardens had decided it was a "keeper" and I certainly agree with them.




BANANA GINGERBREAD


2-1/4     cups flour
1/2        cup sugar
1-1/2 to 2  teaspoons ground ginger (I used 2)
1            teaspoon baking powder
1            teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2        teaspoon baking soda
1/4        teaspoon salt
1            cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium bananas)
1/2        cup butter-flavored shortening or margarine
1/2        cup molasses
3           eggs
1/2        cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease or spray 3 mini-loaf pans.


In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.







Add mashed banana, shortening or margarine, and molasses.  Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes.






Add remaining flour and eggs; beat till blended.  Stir in nuts.








Pour batter into prepared pans. 

Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.









Remove from the pans and cool thoroughly on the wire rack.

These were be perfect to give to friends and family for holiday gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment