Wednesday, December 18, 2013

JIFFY PRALINES

Christmas is going to be here before I know it.  Going to Branson, MO for a week the first week of the month didn't help, (but it was a fantastic trip and I don't regret going) but it really didn't help getting my house to "look like Christmas".  I finally got rid of the pumpkins, corn stalks, and hay bales at the front door yesterday. (Really enjoying these several days of warm weather we are having before it turns cold again this weekend.)

After celebrating the season with my Northland New Neighbor friends at our annual Christmas Luncheon, I came home and decided to make some jiffy pralines.  I found the recipe the other night in Mother's recipe box.  I have never made pralines before, but decided I wanted to give it a try.  I found several other good sounding recipes but I will have to try them another day(s).

I was a little nervous making them, but they taste really great. During the last step, I left my husband stirring the mixture while I looked for something he wanted, and they got a little thick.  I didn't think about it until I was almost finished spooning them out on the wax paper, but I stirred in a little water to the mixture and it was fine.  I took a picture of the last one so you could see how they were supposed to look.  I wish I had thought of it sooner.  They all taste great (says my husband), they just look dry.  He thinks they look fine.




JIFFY PRALINES

1         (3-3/4 oz) box of butterscotch pudding (cook and serve)
1/2      cup brown sugar
1         cup sugar
1/2      cup evaporated milk
1         tablespoon butter
1-1/2  cups pecans, broken


Mix first 5 ingredients in a saucepan.








Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly.








Reduce heat to low and cook to soft ball stage. (235 degrees)
Basically this is a rolling boil that doesn't stir down.






Remove from hear and add pecans.







Beat (stir) until almost stiff. (Read my note above.)  You do have to work fast as it will get stiff quickly.






Spoon onto wax paper.









No comments:

Post a Comment