Wednesday, October 9, 2013

APPLE-OATMEAL COOKIES

Monday night I realized that I hadn't come up with a recipe to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop the next day for the volunteers. After going through a couple of cookbooks, I found a little piece of paper about 2 x 3 inches with a recipe for Apple-Oatmeal Cookies. I had cut it from the Parade magazine from a Sunday newspaper a while back.  Since I have been taking mainly cookies lately, and the idea of chopped apples and oatmeal in a cookie sounded like a good cookie.

So Tuesday morning I gathered together the ingredients to make the cookies.  The original recipe called for raisins but I didn't have a whole cup.  Curses!  But not to be outdone, I thought, "What goes hand-in-hand with apples?  Dried cranberries."  I did have a cup of them and then some.

The recipe made 40 cookies.  I substituted stevia for the sugar to reduce the calories.  Stevia isn't as sweet as Splenda .... so the cookies aren't real sweet, but everyone liked them.  My husband and I do too.




APPLE-OATMEAL COOKIES


1/2       cup softened butter (margarine works fine)
1          cup stevia or sugar
2          eggs
1-1/2   teaspoons vanilla
1-1/2   cups oats (I used quick oats but rolled oats would work)
1-1/2   cups flour
1/2      teaspoon baking powder
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
1         teaspoon cinnamon
1/4      cup skim milk
1         cup finely chopped apple (I used 1 Granny Smith)
1         cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.


Finely chop one apple.

Beat 1/2  cup (1 stick) margarine (10 seconds in the microwave), stevia or sugar, eggs, and vanilla until creamy.






Combine the oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon with whisk.  Stir into wet mixture.







When completely mixed, add the milk, apple, and dried cranberries.


















Drop dough by the teaspoon (I use a 1-inch scoop and just flattened the dough slightly with a wet finger after dropping on the parchment paper.)







Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are set.









Remove and cool on wire rack.










2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! I see the directions calls for flour but i dont see any in the ingredients list... should there be flour and how much? Thanks, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I had to hunt forever to find the little 2 x 3 inch piece of paper it was on. I am so glad you noticed my mistake as many people have viewed the post. Hopefully they will come back. I have made the correction. Thanks, again. They really are good.

      Delete