Thursday, May 16, 2013

AFTER SCHOOL GINGERSNAPS

Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies.  I have shared my recipe for whole wheat gingersnaps that I really like. They are really good crumbled and used to make a crust.  

I keep looking for a gingersnap that would be crunchy though. If I buy cookies in the grocery store, often they will be gingersnaps. I love the ginger taste and the crunch when you bite into them.

I found this recipe called After School Gingersnaps in a small cookbooklet called Recipes We Grew Up With from Taste of Home Books. I didn't completely read the recipe when I found it so I was surprised to discover as I was making them that they were actually supposed to be rolled out and cut out with cookie cutters. 

But I decided I would just use a circle cookie cutter and put the dough in the frig for an hour. The only problem was that the dough was too soft and I realized I would be using a whole bunch of extra flour to be able to roll them out, so I just used my small cookie scoop and that worked out fine.  

I thought when I baked the first pan and saw how flat they were going to be that I had my crunchy gingersnap, but they don't snap....almost, but not quite. I think the next time I make them....and yes, there will be a next time because this is the best tasting homemade gingersnap I have ever eaten that I will increase the flour by a 1/4 of cup and see if that will make them more crunchy.  Will let you how they turn out.



AFTER-SCHOOL GINGERSNAPS

3/4     cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2     cup sugar or stevia
1/2     cup packed brown sugar (or 1/4 cup brown sugar blend)
1/4     cup molasses
1        egg
2-1/4  cups flour
1-1/2  teaspoons baking soda
1/4     teaspoon salt
2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used 2-1/2 teaspoons)
2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger (I used 2-1/2 teaspoons)


In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, molasses and egg.













Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. (I then sifted these ingredients twice)


Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix well.











Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.










Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Using a small scoop, form cookies about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.




















Bake for 7 minutes or until set (do not overbake).









Remove from pan to cool on wire racks. Cookies will flatten as they cool.











Now all you have to do is wait for the school day to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment