Thursday, May 9, 2013

LEMON CRUMB DESSERT


I was looking for a light dessert to serve to my Mexican Train friends when they came over for a fun afternoon. I decided to search through my Coldwater’s Cookin’! cookbook that was given to me by the mother of one of the little girls I took care of after my younger son was born. 

I was teaching school but after Patrick was born, I decided not to go back after my maternity leave ended. To help out financially, I opened a small at-home-day-care center in our house.  I primarily watched 4 darling little girls who started with me within the first couple of months when they each turned one year old. I “raised” them for 2 years. That was 30 years ago. I wonder where they are today.

This recipe for Lemon Crumb Dessert was submitted by Megan’s grandmother, Norene Harness. She said it was a cool, light and fluffy dessert. I decided to really make it “lite” and used sugar-free lemon Jell-O and stevia-in-the-raw for the sugar. I also used fat free evaporated milk. I’m not sure any of those choices were available 30 + years ago.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE, CLICK HERE.



LEMON CRUMB DESSERT

1          small pkg. sugar-free lemon Jell-O
3/4     cup stevia, Splenda, or sugar
1/8      teaspoon salt
1          cup boiling water
3/4     teaspoon lemon peel
1/3      cup lemon juice
1          large can (12 - oz) fat-free evaporated milk (chilled)

Crust:
1/3  cup melted margarine
2     cups vanilla wafer crumbs or graham cracker crumbs

Mix Jell-O, stevia, and salt with a whisk.












Add the boiling water together with the Jell-O mixture in a bowl with a whisk.










Combine lemon peel and juice. 












Add to the mixture stirring well.












Let cool til almost as thick as Jell-O. (I put the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour to quicken the cooling process, checking occasionally to make sure it wasn’t getting too thick.)

Meanwhile crush the vanilla wafers to make the crumbs.











In a 9 x 13 - inch dish or similar size dish, combine the crumbs and melted margarine.










Pat the crust in the bottom of the dish.












Once the Jell-O mixture has thickened, beat the chilled evaporated milk on high til light and fluffy and peaks form.









Add to the cooled, thickened Jell-O mixture making sure you completely combine the mixture. (I was using a glass bowl and could see the Jello mixture in the bottom.  I would recommend that you add the whipped milk a little at a time to make sure it is completely stirred.)

Pour the lemon mixture over the crumbs.












Can serve like this


OR you can crush a few more cookies and sprinkle the top with crumbs and refrigerate.

I made mine yesterday so I would be sure it set up.  It came out perfectly....even the first serving.





Serves 12 – 15.












This dessert is so light....I called it "Lemon Air" for my Mexican Train Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment