Thursday, December 17, 2015

CRANBERRY ORANGE ALMOND SHORTBREAD COOKIES

Since it is that time of the year when everyone seems to be eating a little more than they usually do, I decided I would just make cookies for dessert when the quilters' canasta group meets at Friend Fran's this afternoon. 

Last week I mixed up some of my mother's Date Pinwheel Cookies and they are just so handy. If I need to bake a few, I just get out the roll, slice off the cookies, and bake for 10 minutes. Everyone loves to have freshly baked cookies. 

So I decided these Cranberry Orange Almond Shortbread Cookies from Craving Something Healthy... sounded just perfect. I mixed them up the yesterday and will bake some just before I go over to Fran's house this afternoon. (I baked just a few so I could have some pictures of the finished cookie.) I love the combination of cranberry and orange also. AND who doesn't like shortbread cookies?


CRANBERRY ORANGE ALMOND SHORTBREAD COOKIES

1        cup unsalted butter, softened
1        cup powdered sugar
3/4   teaspoon almond extract
1/2    teaspoon salt
2       cups flour
1        tablespoon orange zest
2/3   cup sliced almonds
1/3    cup dried cranberries, chopped


Place butter, powdered sugar, almond extract, and salt in large mixing bowl. Begin stirring the ingredients on low until mostly combined. The increase speed and beat for 3 minutes til smooth.


Lower temperature back to low and slowly add the flour and orange zest until dough forms.


Add the cranberries and almonds and mix with spoon or hands 
to form a ball.


Shape the dough into a log and 
wrap with plastic wrap. 





Freeze flat at least 1 hour.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. May need to allow the roll to sit a bit before you slice the cookies.

Slice the cookies 1/4 inch thick and place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.

Bake about 20 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.

Cool on pan a few minutes before removing to rack to finish cooling.




Guess I had better go and start baking some. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment