Monday, December 21, 2015

FUDGIE SCOTCH RING

Why do we only make candy, especially fudge candy, around Christmas? I mean, you love it any time of the year. Right?! But it seems like I am just as guilty as you probably are. 

This Fudge Scotch Ring is too good to just make around Christmas. I am really going to try to remember that and make it throughout 2016. There really isn't reason it has to be made just at Christmas. You can buy walnuts any time of the year. Okay, I have convinced myself. I am really going to try to remember to make this throughout 2016.

I made it Friday morning to take to take to our monthly bridge couples gathering. This year, Host Mitch and Hostess Linda decided to meet early and have dinner with everyone bringing a dish. I signed up, you are correct, for dessert. I did so not really knowing what I would take. I finally decided to make some fudge and immediately thought of this recipe I first made by in Dec. 1982. (Yes, December.)

In addition to being so easy to make, it looks so festive when you get through. I don't think I have to tell you how good it tastes. Didn't think so.



FUDGIE SCOTCH RING

1       6 - oz bag or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1       6 - oz bag or 1 cup butterscotch chips
1       can sweetened condensed milk
1       cup chopped walnuts
1/2   teaspoon vanilla
1       cup walnut halves (it might not take this many)

Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips with the milk in top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Stir occasionally til chips melt and mixture begins to thicken.
Easier method: Place ingredients in a bowl and melt in microwave. Cook on High for 15-20 seconds intervals stopping and stirring between each round until chips are melted. I did it twice and almost had them melted. So I returned the bowl to the microwave for about 10 seconds the third time.

Add chopped nuts and vanilla, mixing well. (Mixture will be thick with all this stirring.)

Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour til mixture thickens. (I actually left mine closer to 2 hours because I was busy with something else.)


Line the bottom of a 9 - inch deep pie pan with foil.


Place walnut halves in the bottom of the pan (flat side down) forming a 2" wide flat ring. (I had a whole half on the outside and then a fourth of the half on the inside.)


Spoon chocolate mixture in small mounds on top of walnuts to form a ring. (Just push back walnuts into the ring if they move when you do this.)


Decorate with additional walnuts and I also used candied cherries cut in half.



Chill in refrigerator until firm enough to slice. (I just made mine in the morning to take that evening.)

Peel the foil back and place ring on a platter to serve.

Cut into 1/2" slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment