Tuesday, December 15, 2015

DATE REFRIGERATOR PIN WHEELS

There were two things my mother always made around Christmas....her Date Pinwheel Cookies and her Divinity. I still haven't gotten brave enough to try her Divinity candy, but I have made her Pinwheel cookies twice. They are so good and I love how you store them in the freezer and just take the roll out and cut off however many cookies you want to bake at a time. I really should make them more often. 

I have seen recipes in various cookbooks but these cookies, but none just like her recipe. I don't know where she found it. I just know how good they are.

Yesterday I drew out the slip that said "Take a treat to the dentist office." Since I had a number of errands to run, I decided it was the perfect time to slice off a few of Mother's cookies and they would enjoy freshly baked cookies and I hadn't slaved in the kitchen making them.



DATE REFRIGERATOR PIN WHEELS

1             cup shortening
2            cups packed brown sugar
3            eggs, well beaten
4            cups all-purpose flour
1/2         teaspoon salt
1/2         teaspoon soda

            * * *

2-1/4     cups chopped dates
1             cup sugar
1             cup water
1             cup chopped nuts


Cream together the shortening and brown sugar.


Add the eggs.


Combine the flour, salt, and soda and then add to mixture.


Mix well.

Chill dough thoroughly. 


Cook the dates, sugar, and water in a saucepan over medium heat 
until thick, stirring often.


Add the nuts and let mixture cool to room temperature. (or dough as thoroughly cooled.)


Divide dough into 2 parts
and roll out 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
(I formed the dough in a "log" before I started rolling it.)
Spread with filling and
roll for a jelly roll.



Wrap the roll with wax paper and freeze flat in freezer.




When ready to cook:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 

Remove a roll from the freezer, 
and cut 1/4 inch thick slices. 

Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. (Since Mother didn't say and I didn't remember from watching her make them so many times, I covered the cookie sheet with parchment paper to be safe.)

Bake 10 - 12 minutes.
(With the parchment paper, 10 minutes was plenty of time.)


Cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment