Wednesday, April 1, 2015

PEGGY BELDON'S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

If you are a fan of the Cedar Cove series of books by Debbie Macomber, you will be familiar with the character Peggy Beldon. She and her husband have the Thyme and Tide Bed and Breakfast. I have started reading a new series by Macomber that also takes place in Cedar Cove called the Rose Harbor Series. Jo Marie Rose buys a B & B in Cedar Cove and names it the Inn at Rose Harbor. Since Jo Marie is in Cedar Cove, fans can catch up with favorites from Cedar Cove (series). In Love Letters, the latest novel in the new series, Jo Marie bakes Blueberry Muffins to serve her guests. She says that Peggy Beldon had shared the recipe with her. Of course, the guests raved over the muffins.

When I was returning the book to the library, I thought I would look for some books that might have some simple knitting stitches that I could do. One of the books I found was by Debbie Macomber called Knit Along with Debbie Macomber, the Cedar Cove Collection. In the back were 4 recipes. You guessed it. One of them was for Blueberry Muffins. Under the picture was a note that read: "I have several recipes that are favorites, but this one is a tradition at the B and B. I hope you enjoy my blueberry muffins. ---Peggy Beldon, Thyme and Tide Bed and Breakfast."

I couldn't believe it. Since I was going to the dentist on Monday morning to get my 6 month cleaning, I decided they would be the perfect thing for me to take to the office staff.  They were so excited. Dee, the office manager, said they were just what she was needing that morning. Linda, my dental hygienist, said they were good, but she liked them sweeter. I told her I had used all real sugar this time. (She has told me this before when I have taken goodies in to them.) I think I have the solution for Linda and people who like blueberry muffins sweet. See below.


BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1-3/4     cups flour
2/3        cup sugar
1           tablespoon baking powder
3/4        teaspoon salt
6           tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2        cup milk
1           large egg
1           teaspoon grated lemon peel (I used the dried lemon peel who buy in the spice rack)
1/2        teaspoon vanilla
1           cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I did use frozen ones)
additional sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffins cups or line with paper cup liners. (The recipe says it will make 6 muffins. I used a slightly smaller muffin tin that holds about 3 tablespoons of batter in each cup and made 15 muffins.)

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles fine crumbs.

I used margarine cut into slabs and then used my fingers.

In a small bowl, beat milk, egg, lemon peel, and vanilla extract until blended.

Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients; stir just until moistened (batter will be thick and lumpy).

Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into muffin cups. (I used a scoop I have that holds 3 tablespoons. That was the right amount to fill the cup. If you have some empty cups, fill them about half way up with water so the muffins will bake evenly.)


NOTE: If you like your muffins sweet, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the batter after filling the cups and before baking. This will give the person a little extra sugar as they take a bite. It will satisfy their sweet tooth a little better since traditionally blueberry muffins aren't real sweet.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.

Remove from pan. (I used a knife and ran it around the inside of the cup.) Cool on a wire rack.




Serve warm or at room temperature.

This is what I took to the dentist office.

2 comments:

  1. One granddaughter insisted that she wouldn't touch them without chocolate so I added a cup of chocolate chips to the recipe and they still were great.

    ReplyDelete