Tuesday, March 19, 2013

STRAWBERRY SOUP


At our Mexican Train gathering last week, Marilyn served strawberry soup.  No one there had eaten it before.  I forgot my camera, but did have my cell phone to take a picture of it. She said she had found the recipe at allrecipes.com but had reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe.

Strawberry Soup is so delicious....so light tasting.  I actually had two servings, and could have easily eaten more.  

Here is the recipe as Marilyn gave it to me.  The changes I would make follow in the parenthesis.  (Sorry, I just can't help it)



STRAWBERRY SOUP

4     cups frozen sliced strawberries, unsweetened
2/3  cup sugar (I would use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sugar blend)
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
1/4  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8  teaspoon ground nutmeg
12-oz container of Cool Whip (I would use sugar-free Cool Whip)
1/4  cup sour cream (I would use fat free sour cream--I bet Greek yogurt would work too.)

Place the frozen strawberries in a large bowl and cover with the sugar.  Set aside until sugar dissolves.

Place strawberries in blender and blend until strawberries are chopped up.

Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and blend.

Remove the mixture to a large bowl and fold in the Cool Whip.

Then stir in the sour cream.

Cover and chill. (Marilyn prepared hers the day before and let it chill overnight in the refrigerator.)

When ready to serve, spoon "soup" into serving cups/bowls. Return unused "soup" to the refrigerator.
  

Be prepared for requests for "seconds".  We did.

2 comments:

  1. I love soups of all kinds, hot and cold. So I decided to try this one. I used the original items to make it. It turned out yummy! My family finished all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it turned out well for you. I loved it too when Marilyn served it.

      Delete