Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DOUBLE RICH CHOCOLATE BANANA NUT BREAD

One day while on Pinterest I saw a pin from Lindsay at artsy fartsy mama.  It was for banana bread using a cake mix.  I looked at the recipe...it looked really easy and simple.  I LIKE really easy and simple.  I repinned it thinking I would try it some day when I had bananas. 

The day finally came when I decided that I would give it a try.  The only problem was I didn't have a yellow cake mix....plenty of Devil's Food but no yellow.  So that is how I came up with Double Rich Chocolate Banana Nut Bread.  I also changed from semi-sweet chocolate chips, because I LOVE dark chocolate and know it is better for you.  Aren't women supposed to eat 1-oz of dark chocolate a day?  I also use Sugar Free cake mixes whenever possible, but you could use a regular cake mix as Lindsay did.  I had some black walnuts that I had gotten through a fundraiser at church by the Miracle Ringers, the handbell choir I belong to, so I used those for the nuts.  Any nut would do OR leave them out if you don't want them.  I also like to make breads using the mini loaf pans.  That way we can eat one and freeze the other two to enjoy at a later date. It allows me to spread around my goodies and have more variety.  We can simply take whichever variety we are in the mood for out of the freezer and enjoy it for 2 or 3 days.



Did I mention it only calls for 5 ingredients?















DOUBLE RICH CHOCOLATE BANANA NUT BREAD

1   CUP MASHED BANANAS (2 LARGE BANANAS)
2   LARGE EGGS
 1  PILLSBURY SUGAR-FREE DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE MIX
3/4   CUP GHIRARDELLI 60% CACAO BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1/2   CUP CHOPPED BLACK WALNUTS (OPTIONAL
1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.    

2)  Prepare one 9 x 5-in loaf pan OR  3  mini-loaf pans by spraying bottom and sides with spray cooking oil

3)  With your mixer on low speed, mash the two bananas and then mix in the eggs.   Add the cake mix, chips, and nuts and mix til completely combined.

4)  Spoon batter into pan(s) and bake.  60 minutes for 9 x 5-in loaf pan and 45 minutes if making 3 mini loaves.  Test doneness with a toothpick in the center.










5)  Cool in pan(s) on rack for 10 minutes.  















6)  Remove and let cool completely. 

You know you could use any flavor of cake mix and come up with all sorts of different varieties.  I will have to give some a try.  Let me know if you try a different one and how it turns out.

TIP ALERT!

To  keep your bananas from ripening so quickly, separate them from the bunch when you get them home.  I don't know why this works, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment