Monday, October 9, 2023

MAMA KELCE'S BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

 

Any friend of mine who shares a recipe with me knows that I'm going to be contacting them with questions if the recipe isn't specific. If I could have contacted Travis Kelce's mother, I would have. Since I couldn't though, I had to experiment or do what I would do. I shared these steps in italics inside parentheses so you would know that was personal notes because she didn't say in her recipe.

She did say that the pecans were optional so since I was making these for the Cafe Treats Nut-Free Zone, I left them out. Personally I would have added more chocolate chips because some cookies only had two or three and he cookies spread so much that that just didn't make as pretty of a cookie. 

I did leave the dough covered in the refrigerator overnight and admit I didn't read to allow the dough to warm to room temperature before baking them, so I had to wait at least an hour after I took the bowl out of the refrigerator and the dough was not at room temperature. I just pressed the dough into the cookie scoop to fill it. By the time I was baking the last pan full, I would say the dough was finally at room temperature. 

The dough spread so much that I only baked eight cookies at a time. At the end of the 10 minutes, the cookies were browning around the edges but puffy. I did take them out and realized they needed to cool on the pan at least 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes, the cookies flattened and were no longer soft in the middle. Not sure I had enough parchment paper, I did bake the last few pans without the paper and ungreased. They baked just as well. There is so much butter in the dough that the pan doesn't need any help.

Living in Kansas City and with so many Chiefs football fans, word got out at the Cafe at PWUMC yesterday, so the cookies didn't last long. Everyone wanted to see how they tasted. The young man that I have mentioned before who likes Oatmeal Cookies with chocolate chips instead of raisins, decided he would give them a try. When he came back for the third one, I did tell him that he needed to try a different cookie next time so there would be enough to go around. He said okay. I think Pastor Mat enjoyed two of them. They were definitely a hit!



PRINT RECIPE.

MAMA KELCE'S BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

3       sticks sweet cream butter

1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

1       cup white sugar

1       large egg

1       egg yolk

1       tablespoon vanilla extract

2       cups all-purpose flour

1       cup cake or pastry flour

1       teaspoon baking powder

1       teaspoon cinnamon

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1       teaspoon baking soda (dissolve in 2 tablespoons of hot water to activate; microwave water first then stir in baking soda to dissolve)

1       cup Ghirardelli white chocolate chips

1       cup Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips

1       cup of pecans (optional)


Melt the butter in the microwave in 20 second increments (DO NOT overcook)

(I did three increments and two of the sticks had melted and part of the third

so I stirred until the third one completely melted.) Pour into a mixing bowl or mixer. Let cool for 15 - 20 minutes in the bowl.


Add the sugars to the butter and mix for 4 minutes. (I mixed on #4 setting.)

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and

add the eggs one at a time.


Add vanilla and mix for 30 seconds.


Add dissolved baking soda.


In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.


Slowly add 1/2 cup of the dry ingredients at a time to the mixture in the bowl,

scraping down the sides as you go.


Add both chocolate chips and nuts, if you are including them, with a wooden spoon.


Cover the bowl and put dough in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. (Mama Kelce's says overnight is the best.)



Allow the dough to warm to room temperature before baking.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (Can line cookie sheets with parchment paper or use ungreased cookie sheets. Mama Kelce didn't give any specific directions. I did both.)


Using a tablespoon scoop, drop scoops at least 2 inches apart.

(Cookies do spread as they bake so I only baked 8 cookies at a time.)


Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges. (The cookies will be puffy but will drop as they cool.)


(Cool cookies for 3 minutes before removing from the cookie sheets.

Then finish cooling on a wire rack.
)

No comments:

Post a Comment