Friday, February 24, 2023

PINEAPPLE DROP COOKIES

 We had our above normal temperatures the first part of the week and now we are having our below normal temperatures for February in Kansas City. Two or three days and then back to the 50s and 60s. It has been that way most of 2023. We had our coldest temperatures back in December for about a week to 10 days and for several days lingered around 0 degrees F. That was extremely below normal.

With the crazy roller coaster temperatures though the trees don't know if it is winter or spring. We have a huge silver maple tree in our back yard that covers most of our back yard and it has been totally budded out for a week. I know not just by looking but by feeling with my allergies. It's not fair to have beautiful days when you would love to go walking, but know you better stay in because your allergies are bad just staying in the house.

The first of next week we have thunderstorms in the forecast but it won't be the first time this winter. I would be fine with it all if my allergies just weren't so bad right now.

I'm trying to get shared the recipes for some of the cookies that are being made for the Welcoming Center's Cafe at our church to enjoy with coffee or tea. So far, I have scheduled three different people to each make something different for a variety. Today I am sharing Friend Jean's mother, Evelyn Marsh's Pineapple Drop Cookies.

Jean and I are good friends from church and volunteering at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. She has found a number of Amish Cookbooks for me as she works in the Books Department. We also play handbells together at church and she is part of the Unleavened Bread Bakers group I lead. Now she is helping me with Treats for the Cafe. We also share a common interest with birds in our yards. 

These cookies she brought were so delightful. I have to use the delightful instead of delicious because in my mind it shows how light and refreshing they tasted. Not a heavy cookie at all and enjoyed by many. Jean says the recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies, but I only ask for three dozen. I'm sure she enjoyed the rest along with the memories of her mother she recalled as she ate them. I just love family recipes.

PRINT recipe.


PINEAPPLE DROP COOKIES

1       cup white sugar

1       cup brown sugar, firmly packed

3/4    cup shortening or butter

2       eggs

1       cup crushed pineapple with some of the juice

1       teaspoon vanilla

1       teaspoon pineapple flavoring (optional)

4       cups flour

2       teaspoons baking powder

1/2    teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cooking sheets and set aside.

Cream together the shortening with sugars til light and fluffy. 

Add the eggs, flavorings, and beat well.

Sift the dry ingredients together and add alternately to the creamed mixture with the pineapple.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes. Jean usually removes the cookie sheets after 10 minutes.

Remove to a wire rack to cool. Jean dusted the cooled cookies with some powdered sugar. Separate cookies with wax paper to store.

The recipe will make 5 dozen small cookies or 3 to 4 dozen larger cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really liked them. They were light tasting and a bit of pineapple made them so refreshing. Patricia

      Delete