Wednesday, February 8, 2023

TACO SOUP

 I don't know where you live, but here in the midwest (Kansas City, Missouri) we are being truly blessed with a mild winter. It is February 7 as I am writing this and outside it is 51 degrees F with little wind, some thin clouds and plenty of sun shining. Yesterday it was 70 degrees, a tie from 1904 for the high temperature. Tomorrow evening we have rain in the forecast - not snow - but rain. I can't complain but I do feel for the northeast that I think is going to be getting the white stuff.

Sunday at Roxanne's Cafe where we often go after church on Sunday for a meal, Wayne got their taco soup. Other than maybe having some shredded cheese on it, he said it tasted pretty good. I checked it out in his bowl looking to see what was in it and then told him I could make him some this week. 

I had decided what I was going to put in it and bought the missing ingredients on Monday. This morning I remembered that our younger son Patrick makes taco soup so I checked with him regarding the ingredients he uses. He uses black beans and pinto beans, but I didn't have any pinto beans so I just added another can of black beans. He also adds a can of rotel, but I didn't have that either so Wayne suggested some mild salsa that we also got on Monday. I used ground turkey, but you could obviously use ground beef.

It was one of those throw some ingredients together, no written recipe, but Wayne was really pleased with my end results and was very thankful. I know he ate two bowls. (I went to Whataburger and got me a cheeseburger. I brought it home and really enjoyed it.)

PRINT recipe.


TACO SOUP

1      lb ground turkey or beef 

1      (1.25 oz) taco seasoning mix

1      (6 oz) can tomato paste

1      (14.5 oz) can diced tomato

1      (15.25 oz) can of whole kernel corn (drained)

2       (15 oz each) cans of black beans

1       (32 oz) container beef broth

1        teaspoon minced garlic

2        tablespoons minced onion

2        cups salsa 

shredded cheese and chips


Cook the ground meat in a large pot until done. Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste, tomatoes,

corn, black beans,

onion, garlic, and salsa.

Bring to a boil and then simmer until the soup is heated thoroughly and ready to serve.

I cooked mine probably 30 minutes.

Spoon soup in serving bowls,

sprinkle cheese on top and then

add chips.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment