Wednesday, December 4, 2019

APPLESAUCE CAKE

I wanted to make a chocolate applesauce cake to take to Hillcrest for the volunteers but when I finally refound the recipe, the last words in the recipe said, "Best when served warm." That mean't I would have to get up early to make it the morning of instead the day before like I usually do. But I had bought a big jar of applesauce so I had to look for a different recipe using applesauce. 

I found this Applesauce Cake recipe in Lovina Eicheer with Kevin Williams' The Amish Cook's Family Favorite Recipes cookbook. Lovina said it was a big hit in her house since she made her applesauce from a Yellow Transparent (apple) tree in her parents' front yard. It was a big hit at the thrift shop also as many told me how moist it was and how much they loved it.

Click here for a printable copy of just the recipe.


APPLESAUCE CAKE

1       cup sugar
1       cup Miracle Whip salad dressing (not mayo)
1/2    cup milk
2       cups unsweetened applesauce
1       teaspoon vanilla extract
3       cups flour
2       teaspoons baking soda
2       teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2    teaspoon ground allspice
1/2    teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, salad dressing, and milk.
(I used a whisk.)
Beat in the applesauce and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt
(with a whisk).
Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, to the wet mixture. (I used the whisk and added a heaping 1/4 cup at a time.)
The batter will be thick and slightly lumpy. (Mine was thick but not lumpy)
Pour into the prepared pan and
bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. (I baked mine the full 40 minutes and test doneness by lightly pressing in the center.)
Let the cake cool completely (in the pan on a wire rack). 














Cover the pan with a sealed lid.
(Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar before cutting to serve.)

No comments:

Post a Comment