Monday, December 9, 2019

CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT ROLL

I made a Pumpkin Roll, an Amish recipe, recently and took it to the thrift shop for the volunteers. I was a little anxious since I had never made a roll before but it turned out great and tasted even better. I was told repeatedly how moist it was and how much they liked it. The next week, Volunteer Ellie stopped by my register to tell me she thought it was in the top five of all of the desserts I had brought them. Wow!

At the same time that I made the Pumpkin Roll, I checked my Betty Crocker Cookbook to see if they had a pumpkin roll recipe in it. As I said, I was nervous about making it and rolling it up, etc. I didn't find a pumpkin roll, but I did find a Chocolate Roll recipe. Friday I decided to give it a try since I had signed up for dessert for the Sunday school Christmas party Saturday night.  

When I started to make it, I noticed that the filling was just whipping cream that you whipped. I hadn't completely read the recipe and thought it used cream cheese and powdered sugar like the pumpkin roll did. I was going to crush some peppermint and sprinkle it on the cream cheese mixture before I rolled it up. Since I also was thinking about making the chocolate roll for the Ladies Christmas Tea this week, I called Friend Janice and asked her opinion. She felt the cream cheese mixture would be better. SO I substituted that for the whipped cream.  I'm still not sure what I am going to make for the Tea. Janice wants me to make the Pumpkin Roll but is leaving it up to me. You'll have to check back later this week and see what I made. 😉

This cake is not super sweet or rich with chocolate taste so the cream cheese mixture with the crushed peppermint help a lot. Just wanted to let you know, so you won't be disappointed.




CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT ROLL

1     cup cake flour OR 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4  cup cocoa
1     teaspoon baking powder
1/4  teaspoon salt
3     eggs (1/2 to 2/3 cup)
1     cup granulated sugar
1/3  cup water
1     teaspoon vanilla
6     oz. cream cheese at room temperature (1/3 less fat is fine)
1/4  cup (1/2 stick) butter at room temperature
1     cup powdered sugar, sifted
1     teaspoon peppermint flavoring
crushed peppermint
additional powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a jelly roll pan (15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1 inch) with aluminum foil or waxed paper; grease. (I used the foil and sprayed it with a nonstick cooking spray.)


Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
Set aside. 
In a small mixer bowl, beat eggs about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored. Pour eggs into a large mixer bowl and
gradually beat in granulated sugar.
On low speed, blend in water and vanilla.
Gradually add the flour mixture, beating
just until batter is smooth.
Pour into pan, spreading to corners.



Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
Loosen cake from edges of pan/foil. Lift cake out holding onto ends of foil.
Invert on towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully remove foil; trim off stiff edges if necessary.
(I sorta made a mess when I flipped the cake over on the towel. lol This is looking down my pants' leg.)



While hot, roll cake and towel from narrow end.
Cool on wire rack. 
While the cake is cooling, prepare filling by beating the  cream cheese with the butter until smooth.
Add powdered sugar slowly and beat
til smooth. Add peppermint flavoring.
Spread over cooled cake and
then sprinkle the crushed peppermint evenly over the top.
Carefully loosen the cake from the towel and
roll the cake from one of the ends. Near the other end, carefully being the other end up over the roll.
Then flip it over the open end is on underneath.
Wrap in wrapped paper and tape edges to keep it in a roll. Store in refrigerator until the next day.
 Cut off ends.
Sift more powdered sugar on top to make it pretty and slice to serve.




Here are a couple of tips I will pass on to you:

Need to get butter at room temperature or soften without melting it, Heat a cup of water in the microwave for 2 minutes to boil. Pour out the water and turn the cup over the butter and let it set for a few minutes or until softened. I cut the butter into slices to help speed it along, too.

Another tip for crushing the peppermint. I used 3 candy sticks to crush. I left them in the wrapping and beat them with my meat tenderizer (?) This kept the peppermint from "flying" everywhere as it broke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment