Monday, December 2, 2019

APPLE PANDOWDY

I hope you enjoy the Amish recipes I share, because I am sharing another one. Three of the last four posts have been Amish recipes from a new cookbook that Friend Jean gave me. Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook is a really nice cookbook with sayings, information about the Amish with pictures, and generally only one recipe per page. There are no pictures of the prepared recipes, but there are 200 recipes in the book. This recipe was contributed by Marie Zimmerman from Pembroke, Kentucky.

I chose to make the Apple Pandowdy for our Thanksgiving dinner with our younger son Patrick and his family. He asked for a fruit dessert and I think apple is his favorite. I have seen a recipe for Apple Pandowdy in probably 75% of my Amish cookbooks, but never made it. It was cold by the time we were ready to eat dessert, but I warmed my serving up in the microwave. I think it is best when it is warm.

It is very sweet so when I make it again I will probably reduce the sugar by using a sugar substitute. I used two golden delicious apples and two granny smith apples.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


APPLE PANDOWDY

Filling:

4      cups peeled and sliced apples
1      cup brown sugar
1/4   cup flour
1/2   teaspoon salt
1      tablespoon vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3/4   cup water
1      tablespoon butter
1      teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spread apples in bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.
To make syrup, combine sugar, flour, salt, vinegar, and water in saucepan.
I combined the sugar, flour, and salt first before adding the vinegar and water.
Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
Pour over apples.















Topping:

1       cup flour
1/2    teaspoon salt
2       teaspoons baking powder,
2-1/2 tablespoons shortening
1/2    cup milk

Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and shortening with pastry cutter.
Add milk and stir just until moistened.
Drop by spoonfuls over apple filling. (I used a teaspoon so my "blobs" would be smaller.)
Bake for 35 minutes.





















Serve with whole milk or cream. 


Here is a picture of Madison and Tyler I took before we ate. They had been the town's Christmas tree lighting the night before and still had some of the face paint on their beautiful faces:

No comments:

Post a Comment