Wednesday, December 11, 2019

CHOCOLATE APPLESAUCE CAKE, an AMISH RECIPE

Well, I finally got around to making that Chocolate Applesauce Cake I mentioned to you a few posts back. I had planned to make it for the Tuesday volunteers at the thrift shop, but when I realized the recipe said it was better served warm, I changed my mind. I usually make whatever I take on Monday afternoon or evening and knew it wouldn't be warm the next morning. Wayne told me I could just get up earlier on Tuesday morning and make it before I went so Sunday evening when I had not made anything, I decided I would just get up Monday morning and make it.

One of the main reasons Mrs. Dorothy Stutzman from MO said it was best while still warm is that the chocolate chips get back hard when they cool. The cake part might taste better warm, but it tasted great cold. (I didn't get to eat my piece until I got home after my shift and it was cold.) The recipe was in one of my newer Amish cookbooks called Art of Amish Cooking which is a collection of recipes from Alma Hershberger's family. I would like to try it and just dust it with powdered sugar for my friends who can't eat nuts and/or extra calories.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


CHOCOLATE APPLESAUCE CAKE

1/2        cup shortening
2           eggs
1-1/2     cups sugar
1/2        teaspoon cinnamon
2           cups flour
1-1/2     teaspoons soda
1/2        teaspoon salt
3           tablespoons cocoa
2           cups unsweetened applesauce
2           tablespoons sugar
1/2        cup chopped nuts
1           cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.

Mix on slow in a mixing bowl, the shortening, eggs, sugar, and cinnamon.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat
til well blended.


Sift together the flour, soda, salt, and cocoa.
Add alternately to the egg mixture with the applesauce, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. 


Pour mixture and spread evenly in the prepared pan.
Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar over the batter.
Then sprinkle the nuts and finally
the chocolate chips over top. (I used dark chocolate chips.)


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool until ready to serve on wire rack.

Best while still warm. Volunteer Terry wanted a corner piece so he didn't get as much of the topping. He said he likes the crunchy "edge". 

No comments:

Post a Comment