Wednesday, September 12, 2018

SHRIMP - CHEESE BITES

I am finally getting around to sharing these Shrimp-Cheese Bites that I made when the Friends' Bridge Couples met at our house back in August. As I have said so many times here, I don't do appetizers that well. Don't get me wrong, when I do, they usually turn out fine, but I am always nervous about them and take too long trying to find something to do. 

I found the recipe for these "bites" in Betty Crocker's DO AHEAD Cookbook. I prepared mine and cooked them to be ready when everyone arrived so I didn't use the directions for "doing it ahead" that I included at the bottom of the recipe. Let me know how they turn out if you do make them ahead.




SHRIMP - CHEESE BITES

1/2       cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
1-1/4    cups flour
1          egg, beaten
2/3       cup chopped cooked shrimp
2          ounces farmer or goat cheese, crumbled
1          egg
1          egg yolk
1/2       cup half-and-half
2          teaspoons chopped fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cut margarine or utter into flour with pastry blender or two knives in a medium bowl until mixture is crumbly.
(I always use my fingers. Have butter at room temperature and it is much easier.)
Stir in 1 beaten egg until well mixed;
shape into ball.
Divide into 24 balls.
(I used my small cookie scoop but only made 18 balls. I ended up pinching off a little from each one to make 23 balls. Next time I might just make 18 of them and use the tablespoon of dough for each one as it seemed like I didn't have quite enough to cover the bottom and up the sides of the mini cup.)
Press 1 ball on bottom and up side of each of 24 ungreased small muffin cups, 1-1/4 x 1 inch.
Divide shrimp among cups.
(I used the small salad size cooked shrimp and cut them into thirds.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Beat 1 egg and the egg yolk in a small bowl;
stir in half-and-half
and basil.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the egg mixture into each cup. (I measured the tablespoon which I am glad I did as I had just enough.)
Bake about 20 minutes or until light brown.
Immediately remove from pan to wire rack.










TO STORE: Refrigerator - Cool bites completely on wire rack. Refrigerate tightly covered no longer than 24 hours.
                    Freezer - Cool bites completely on wire rack. Place in single layer on cookie sheet. Freeze uncovered at least 2 hours. Place bites in labeled airtight freezer container. Freeze no longer than 2 months.

TO REHEAT: From Refrigerator - Oven - About 25 minutes before serving, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet about 15 minutes or until warm.
                      From Freezer - Oven - About 30 minutes before serving, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet about 18 minutes or until warm.
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment