Thursday, September 6, 2018

APPLE WALNUT OATMEAL COOKIES

When we were in Vermont visiting with my uncle and aunt, we played a game that was new to my husband and me (but actually has been around since the late 70s) called Sequence. It's a board game that uses cards. We really had fun playing it and not long after we got back home, I bought one. When our Tasty Bunch met for dinner and dessert, instead of sitting around talking politics and such, we played the game. Everyone agreed that was much more fun. I also mentioned it at one of our canasta gatherings and the rest of the ladies were interested. The trouble has been trying to find an afternoon when we could all get together to play.

Finally I found a time. I honestly have an afternoon with friends at least one time every week (except when the month has five weeks). When a month has five weeks, I often find myself restless and a little "bored" - actually  - a lot bored. I had already decided to call the group "Board Silly" (like my play-on-words?) so if the group wanted to play a different board game, we could.  So since last week was the fifth week in August, I decided to invite the ladies over on Friday afternoon. As it turned out two of the ladies, Friends Fran and Dorothy, couldn't come, but I had four who could - Friends Ellen, Janice, Sharon, and Susan.

If you have ever played Sequence, you know you need an even number to make two teams. Since I couldn't find a sixth person (didn't know so many ladies had activities on Fridays), I had to ask Ethel. Ethel is our imaginary friend who plays canasta with us when we are short a player and I usually play for Ethel. It isn't as hard as you might think. I simply don't study my hand (cards) and only look at them when it is my turn to play. That way I don't remember what cards I have and so can then go play for Ethel with "her" cards. SO that is what I did with the game. The difference though in canasta, Ethel and I are always on the same team. In Sequence, I played with one color chip and Ethel played on the other team. Once I started reminding myself when I picked up the cards to play what "color" I was playing, it wasn't that hard. The good thing is I was always a "winner". 😀 The ladies loved the game and said they definitely wanted to play again. Now I just have to find a time to play. 

I had told everyone I didn't plan to have snacks, but decided Friday morning to make these Apple Walnut Oatmeal Cookies. I had the recipe written down on a small note pad and checked first to make sure I didn't already have the recipe on my blog. Funny thing - I did, but the recipe was NOT the same. I decided to add the word "walnut" in the title of this recipe so I could distinguish between the two. Everyone liked having the little treat of a cookie.

For a printable copy of the recipe, click here.



APPLE WALNUT OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4     cup brown sugar
1/2     cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2        eggs
1        teaspoon vanilla
2        teaspoons cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
pinch of apple pie spice*
pinch of nutmeg*
pinch of allspice*
2        cups rolled oats (I used old fashioned oats)
1        cup flour
1/2     cup chopped walnuts
1        apple, peeled cored, and shredded

1/2     cup powdered sugar
1        tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Add the cinnamon, salt, baking soda, apple pie spice, nutmeg, and allspice.
Add oats, flours, walnuts.
Add apple.


Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart - 12 cookies on a sheet.

Bake for 9 - 12 minutes until lightly golden brown. (I baked mine 10 minutes so they were golden brown.)

Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

Prepare glaze by sifting powdered sugar and then stirring in the milk until smooth.
When cookies are completely cooled, spoon a little glaze over each one. (The recipe was only supposed to make 2 dozen cookies. I made 4 dozen + 4 cookies so I didn't have enough glaze to cover all of the cookies. I just left them plain.)



*Ever wonder how much a "pinch" is? Well, I have these three nifty little measuring spoons...

so I never have to wonder when a recipe calls for a Dash, a Pinch, or a Smidgen.  Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment