Wednesday, September 19, 2018

MARBLED GINGERBREAD COFFEE CAKE

I haven't been doing much baking lately. Our Sunday School class had a picnic Sunday, but I made potato salad and Black Bean Salsa, two recipes I have made and already shared here with you. I know. That is really unusual for me, but my husband loves my potato salad and reminded me I don't make it much anymore. I also know he loved the Black Bean Salsa I recently made and shared with you and felt others at the picnic would also. 

But thankfully there is always HPC Thrift Shop and so I had to find something Sunday afternoon after we got home from the picnic to make and take Monday when I went to volunteer. Yes, you are right. My regularly scheduled day to volunteer is Tuesday except the second week of the month when I have Blankets of Hope, the quilt group, at church. Anyway, I've been thinking about changing my "work day" to Mondays and so had signed up for Monday for this week. Next week I will be back on Tuesday as the Farkle group meets Tuesday afternoon on the fourth Tuesday of the month.

Since I wanted to find something that would be quick but awesome, I decided to check out one of the cookbooks I bought Friday when Friend Janice and I went to several estate sales. I have several of Anne Byrn's cookbooks but this one, The Cake mix Doctor RETURNS was a new one. It was still sealed so I couldn't check out the recipes, but knew I wouldn't be disappointed. (and I wasn't). I found several I want to make, but chose this Marbled Gingerbread Coffee Cake to make first. 

It was actually a version in the margin. The original recipe was called Cathy's Marbled Spice Cake. Anne suggested in the margin of substituting ginger for the cloves. I knew my husband would prefer that since he doesn't like cloves. I decided to just sift some powdered sugar on it as Cathy's recipe called for instead of Anne's easy molasses glaze whisking together 1/3 cup molasses with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and then spooning it over the cooled cake.

The two most common comments I heard from the volunteers were "That is so good." and "It is so moist." Both statements are so true.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



MARBLED GINGERBREAD COFFEE CAKE

1       plain yellow cake mix or plain butter cake (no pudding in the mix)
3/4    cup oil
1       cup sour cream
1/4    cup granulated sugar
1/2    teaspoon almond extract
4       large eggs
2       tablespoons molasses
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon nutmeg
1/4    teaspoon ginger
powdered sugar

Place rack in the center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist a 12 - cup Bundt pan with oil spray; then dust it with flour. Shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.


Place the cake mix, oil, sour cream, sugar, almond extract, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. 
Beat with a mixer on low speed for 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed. Scrape the sides of the bowl; increase speed to medium
and beat 1-1/2 more minutes. The batter should look smooth and thick.


Measure out 1-1/2 cups of the batter and place in a small bowl.
Add the molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and stir until combined.
Set this spice batter aside. (sorry the picture is blurred)


Pour the plain batter into the prepared pan.
Pour the spiced batter in a ring on top of it, keeping it away from the edges.
Swirl the spice batter into the plain batter using a long spoon or chopstick.
 
Bake the cake until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, 40 to 45 minutes. (I had to bake mine the full 45 minutes.)
Cool cake in pan on a wire rack and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.


Run a long, sharp knife around the edges of the cake, shake the pan gently,
and invert the cake onto a wire rack.
Let the cake cool completely, 25 to 30 minutes longer.



Slide the cake onto a cake plate (You may need to lift it to loosen it from the rack.)
Sift the powdered sugar over the top, then slice and serve the cake.







Store the cake in a cake saver or loosely covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to one week. Freeze the cake wrapped in foil for up to six months. Let the cake thaw overnight on the counter before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment