Friday, September 14, 2018

JO JO'S BISCUITS

I make the best biscuits in the world. You don't have to take my word for it. My husband and younger son (and a few more people) have told me repeatedly. Saying that, I am willing to try other recipes that I find for "reportedly" good biscuits. One time I made a different recipe and shared them with our younger son. His comment was, "Why didn't you just make your own biscuits?" Enough said.

Anyway, like Jo Jo (Gaines), I worked on my recipe for quite a while before I found "perfection". I have to admit her recipe was considerably different than any biscuit recipe I have ever seen, but I wrote it down and thought I would give it a try one day. That day happened Wednesday when I decided I would surprise my husband and fix them for breakfast. I had found the pad that I had written the recipe on Tuesday when I was looking for something else. Fortunately I had the self-rising flour and even though I didn't have any buttermilk, I did have some powdered buttermilk that I could mix up some. It wasn't quite the same, but works in an emergency. I also do not buy salted butter and so used unsalted butter. After spreading some soft serve butter on the biscuit before eating, the biscuit was salty enough for us.

The result?  Well, I started this post with the statement that I make the best biscuit in the world. I have to say my husband and I thought Jo Jo's biscuit is a really good biscuit, but still think my recipe is better. In all honesty and fairness to Joanna, her biscuit is a different biscuit and it is worth keeping and making again. I guess you will just have to make her recipe and my recipe for Buttermilk biscuits to see what you think.


Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


JO JO'S BISCUITS

2     cups self-rising flour
1     tablespoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
3/4  cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold salted butter, grated or cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1     large egg, beaten
3/4  cup  whole buttermilk
1     egg +1 tablespoon buttermilk


Whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
Cut in the butter to the size of peas.
(I grated the cold stick of butter and
then used my fingers to work it into the flour mixture.
)



Add beaten egg, stir with a wooden spoon
until combined.


Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk
until dough forms a sticky mass. If mixture is dry, add more milk one tablespoon at a time.


Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.






Preheat oven to 400 degrees F when ready to bake them.


Place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Dust hands with flour and pat dough into a circle 1/2 inch thick.


Using a cutter 2-3/4 inches (Mine was 2-1/2 inches in diameter.) cut biscuits and arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper so they are touching.
Work scraps and finish cutting until all dough has been used.
(I didn't have the parchment paper and used a nonstick cookie sheet.)


Combine an egg with 1 tablespoon buttermilk using a fork.


Brush the biscuit tops with the egg mixture.


Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. (I did cook them the full 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment