Monday, July 9, 2018

PEACH COBBLER

I didn't use all of the fresh peaches that we bought when we were in CO visiting our older son Jeffrey and his family when I made the Skillet Peach Pie last week. I hope you saw that post. Besides just making a really terrific looking peach pie, it tasted just as terrific. 

I am glad that I started using little stick-on post-its to mark recipes I wanted to try in my latest seven or eight cookbooks. It makes it so much easier and faster to find recipes that I remember seeing but not necessarily where I saw them. It also keeps me from writing in the cookbooks. I had marked this recipe for Peach Cobbler in the Hochstedler Family Cookbook, a Collection of Edible Treasures from the family of Emanuel and Mattie Hochstedler. I have made quite a few of the recipes from this cookbook (and still have plenty more to try). This recipe was shared by Marilyn Hochstedler, the wife of Lewis, the sixth child of Emanuel and Mattie.

I followed the recipe except for the substitution of truvia, a sugar/stevia blend for the sugar. It uses only half of the sugar amount and thus half of the sugar calories. I was making it for just us and didn't want all of the calories. We also don't like a lot of sugar in fruit dishes. We prefer to taste the fruit and if you use a lot of sugar in the recipe, you lose some of that flavor. The result? It was probably sweeter than I prefer. The next time I make it, I will reduce the amount of sugar or just use stevia alone. If I had followed the recipe and only used 1-1/2 cups of peaches, I would have had a single layer of peaches. Then the "batter" might have cooked up over the peaches and have covered them more. Something to think about.

PRINT just the recipe.



PEACH COBBLER

1       cup flour
1       cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia/sugar blend)
1       teaspoon baking powder
2       tablespoons butter
1/2    cup milk
1-1/2 cups sliced fresh peaches (I used 2 peaches that measured closer to 2 cups of sliced peaches)
1       cup sugar (I used a scant 1/2 cup stevia/sugar blend)
1       cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8 x 8 - inch square baking dish.


Mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and
cut in the butter until
mixed throughout.
Beat milk into the flour mixture until
batter is smooth.
Pour/spoon batter into pan.

Put peaches on the top (I made a single layer and
then filled in spaces with the rest of the peaches.),
then sprinkle sugar over the top.
Finally pour the cold water
over the top of it all.



Bake for 1 hour. 








Serve warm or cold. It had cooled when I was ready to eat some so I heated it up in the microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. (I didn't have a big serving, but big enough for me.)






No comments:

Post a Comment