Tuesday, July 3, 2018

PEANUT BUTTER CAKE


I made this delicious Peanut Butter Cake for the volunteers at HPC Thrift Shop. I am going to try to use the shop's official name so I can get used to it. HPC stands for Hillcrest Platte County. 

I was working the register as usual last Tuesday when Jim, the General Manager of the shop, came up to thank me and tell me how good it was. He said, " Your cake was awful good." Then laughed and said, "Well, that didn't sound too good." I laughed with him and told him I understood what he meant. As I was leaving, one of the young men on the dock, thanked me and told me he especially enjoyed the frosting. He was surprised when I told him it only had 2 teaspoons of peanut butter in it. It is true and hard to believe because it tastes like it has a lot more peanut butter in it.

The recipe came from the Hochstedler Family Cookbook and Grace Graber, the seventh child of Emanuel & Magdelene (Mattie) Hochstedler.

PRINT RECIPE
  

PEANUT BUTTER CAKE

Cake:

1/4       cup (1/2 a stick) butter, softened
1/4       cup peanut butter
1-1/2    cup brown sugar
2          eggs
1/2       cup warm water
1          cup buttermilk
2          cups flour
1          teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon baking soda

Frosting:

1         oz melted unsweetened chocolate
2         tablespoons butter, softened
2         teaspoons peanut butter
2         cups powdered sugar
1/2      teaspoon vanilla
3 - 4    tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Blend on low speed of electric mixer for 1 minute, scraping the bowl frequently. Then beat at medium high for 2 minutes.

I blended the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar,  eggs, water, and buttermilk first
and then added the flour, salt, and baking soda that I had stirred together first.


Pour batter in pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
(I checked it with a toothpick after 30 minutes.)
Cool on wire rack.








Prepare frosting:


Blend frosting ingredients on low speed adding enough milk to make a spreadable consistency.







(Make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl as the chocolate wants to stick to the bottom of the bowl.)
Spread on cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment