Thursday, July 5, 2018

HAMBURGER BAKE

It seems like it has been a while since I have shared a main dish with you. One week we were in CO so I didn't make one and then the next week we just ate other stuff. This week though I realized I needed to make something that would give us several meals so I wouldn't have to think about what we were going to eat.

I checked out several of Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries with recipes. I have made several of the recipes that sounded good in some of her books. When I saw the Hamburger Bake in Cinnamon Roll Murder, I thought it sounded like something we might enjoy. It wasn't too time consuming to prepare and my husband said he liked it. We both felt you could add some seasonings to it. (In fact, he asked me if it were an Amish dish since he is used to my making them with little seasoning.) When I heated up a helping for dinner last night, I sprinkled a little salt and pepper over it and it was much better.

PRINT just the recipe.


HAMBURGER BAKE

Filling:
1       lb lean ground beef
3/4    cup chopped onion 
1       can (10-1/4 oz) condensed cheddar cheese soup
1       cup frozen vegetables (I used peas and carrots.)
1/4    cup milk

Crust:
1/2    cup (1 stick) butter
3/4    cup milk
1-1/4 cups flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4    teaspoon salt

Topping:
1       cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a taco blend I had.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Crumble the ground beef in skillet along with the onion and cook until meat is done. Drain if necessary.

Add the soup, frozen vegetables, and the 1/4 cup milk to the cooked beef in the skillet.
Stir well.
Cover the skillet and set aside. (Sorry about the blurred picture.)


Measure the 3/4 cup milk in a large glass measuring cup. Slice the stick of butter into thin slices and place in measuring cup.
Heat on HIGH in microwave for 45 seconds. Remove cup
and stir til butter is completely melted. Set aside.


Combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk to thoroughly blend ingredients.

Add the butter/milk mixture
and stir with fork until dough forms with no dry flour mixture.

Drop dollops of dough in baking dish
and spread out to evenly cover the bottom of the dish.
(I always save a little to fill in the empty places.)


Spoon the meat mixture
evenly over dough.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Bake in oven for 30 minutes.

Allow to cool 10 minutes before eating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment