Monday, November 7, 2016

OATMEAL BROWN BETTY

I refound Miss Mary U. Weaver's recipe for Oatmeal Brown Betty that I saw in Miriam Miller's Authentic Amish Cooking, The Wooden Spoon Cookbook when I was trying to get my desk a little organized. I had copied the recipe onto a piece of paper earlier this year and it was in a stack of other pieces of paper that also contained recipes. Trust me this is not a good practice. I usually just end up going through the stack, finding a recipe to make at that time, and then just putting the stack back on my desk with all my other stuff.

That's what happened this time. I did keep the recipe out though because I really did want to make sure I finally tried it. 

The opportunity arose when I decided to host my quilting canasta group last Thursday on Monday afternoon. I have seen other recipes for Brown Betty many times before, but have never actually sat down with them to see how they compare. I always thought it was simply another "crisp" recipe. I still haven't compared this recipe with other Brown Betty recipes so I don't know if it is different from them.

If you just look at the ingredients listed in the recipe, it sounds like a "crisp". I decided to add the corn syrup or honey to the list of ingredients so you won't be confused either.


OATMEAL BROWN BETTY

1/2         teaspoon salt
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1             cup whole wheat flour (I did use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2         cup brown sugar
1             cup rolled oats
1/2         cup shortening (scant) (I measured out 1/2 cup and then removed 1 tablespoon)
2-1/2     cups sliced apples (I peeled 3 small/medium apples and so had about 3 cups showing in the 4 cup measuring cup but there was lots of spaces)
1/4        cup raisins
2           tablespoons butter
1/2        cup corn syrup or honey (I did use corn syrup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking dish (I used my 8 - inch square glass baking dish) with cooking spray.

Mix dry ingredients (salt, baking soda, flour, brown sugar, and oats). Cut in shortening till mixture is crumbly. 


Spread half of the crumbs in the baking pan.

Cover with apples and raisins.

Put the remaining crumbs on top, covering the apples and raisins.

Dot with butter.

Drizzle the corn syrup or honey over top. 

Bake for 35 minutes, or until apples are soft.


Serve with milk. (I served mine with a scoop of ice cream.)


Other fruit may be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment