Wednesday, November 30, 2016

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRUNCH COOKIES

Monday after spending the morning bringing the Christmas decorations down from the attic, I had to take a break and make some cookies. 

I recently joined the SAM (Senior Adult Ministries) choir at our church and we have been presenting a Christmas program at 6 different senior living facilities nearby on Tuesday afternoons. Because of a conflict at the church, we decided to gather this Tuesday for a little party back at the church and invited the church's staff to join us. Our director said he would have cookies and drinks for us to enjoy. I offered to help out and he said I could bring a dozen cookies. SO I had those to make plus Tuesday morning is my normally scheduled volunteer day at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I hadn't planned to make cookies to take to Hillcrest, but after successfully trying a new recipe, I thought, Why not make some cookies to take to the volunteers at the thrift shop.

It has been hard to decide which recipe to share first. The volunteers at Hillcrest loved the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies and the fellow choir members and church staff really liked the Lemon Pecan Cookies. AND I loved both of them. 

I finally just decided to share them in the order that I made them. That doesn't mean I liked the chocolate ones better than the lemon ones. They are both definitely winners. I think the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips are a seasonal item so you might want to buy an extra bag for later in the year.


DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRUNCH COOKIES

1         cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2        cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4    cups special dark cocoa
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1         cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar/stevia blend)
1/2     cup granulated sugar (I used 1/4 cup sugar/stevia blend)
2        large eggs, room temperature
1         teaspoon vanilla extract
1         package (10-ounces)  Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
1         cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I used a mixture of English walnuts and black walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in the microwave.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. (I sifted the ingredients twice.)

Beat butter with the sugars and vanilla in a mixing bowl til smooth and creamy.

Beat in the eggs.

Gradually add the flour mixture and stir on low just until blended.

Add the chips and nuts.

With a cookie scoop (1 tablespoon size), drop dough on an ungreased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. (Cookies do not spread but you don't want to overload the cookie sheet.)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave on cookie sheet for 1 minute
before you remove the cookies to finish cooling on wire rack.



Hope you will check back tomorrow for the recipe for the Lemon Pecan Cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment