Friday, November 25, 2016

BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP PUMPKIN CAKE

It doesn't take long for me to have to get back to reality after a vacation as long as I continue to volunteer at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. 

We got back from our week in the Hilton Head Island, SC area late Sunday night and Monday afternoon I was looking for a treat to bake and take to Hillcrest Tuesday morning when I volunteer. Several times I have had friends ask me what would happen if I didn't take something. (I actually have a couple of times when I went in because no one had signed up to work.) If Mark is working the second thing he always says to me (after he says hello) is, "Well, what did you bring today?" The couple of times I had to say, "Nothing, I just didn't have time." he always says, "That's okay." Truth is I just really love treating them. They are so appreciative and work so hard volunteering. They don't get enough "Thank yous".

I like taking them treats that are made in a 9 x 13 - inch pan or a tube pan. Sometimes I find recipes I really want to try, but they don't make enough. A square pan just wouldn't do it. This Butterscotch Chip Pumpkin Cake sounded perfect. (Actually the recipe called for cinnamon chips but I didn't have any and substituted butterscotch chips and changed the name.) The butterscotch chips were awesome! I love the taste of them with the pumpkin. You could reduce some of the sugar by using a sugar-free yellow cake mix.


BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP PUMPKIN CAKE

1        package yellow cake mix
1        can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
2       eggs
1/2    cup water
2       teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2    cup butterscotch chip, divided
1/2    cup chopped pecans, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, water, and spice in a large mixing bowl. 

Beat on low to initially mix the ingredients, then increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.

Stir in 1/4 cups of the chips and 1/4 cup of nuts.

Spread batter in pan.
Sprinkle top with the rest of the chips and nuts.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (I did have to bake mine the whole 30 minutes in my new oven.)

Cool in pan at least 15 minutes before serving. (I made mine the afternoon before and covered the pan with the plastic cover.)


Happy Black Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment