Tuesday, June 28, 2016

SWISS CHICKEN CASSEROLE

I didn't make anything using chicken last week because we were eating the Heartland Barbecued Beef all week that I had made in the slow cooker. (It made a lot!) Since we have so much chicken, I can't skip too many weeks though.

The recipe I found to use this past weekend is definitely a winner though. You might not realize from the title, Swiss Chicken Casserole, that it is made in a slow cooker. (We are still having above average temperatures for June and so I am trying to help out with the comfort level in our house without having to turn the A/C down from our normal setting.)

I thought I had a can of cream of mushroom soup but didn't. In its place I used a can of cream of celery soup. We thought it tasted good, but the cream of mushroom would give it a different look and flavor. It also calls for 6 boneless chicken breasts and I used only one as it was a big as a plate. So don't hesitate to use less chicken.




SWISS CHICKEN CASSEROLE

6       boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used one really big breast and cut it into four pieces.)
6       slices Swiss cheese (I used 4 slices.)
1        10-3/4 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery soup or even cream of chicken soup)
1/4     cup milk
2        cups herb stuffing mix (I used cubed but next time will crush them if I don't have the other.)
1/2     cup butter, melted


Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. (I used my larger slow cooker.) Arrange the chicken breasts in the cooker.
Top with the cheese, layering the cheese if necessary. (I just overlapped the slices to completely cover the chicken pieces.)


Combine the soup and milk and stir well.

Spoon the soup mixture over the cheese.(Guess I forgot to take a picture of this. Oops.)


Sprinkle with the stuffing mix.


Pour the melted butter over the top.



Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. (I did the latter. Five hours would probably be perfect.)


Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment