Wednesday, June 1, 2016

APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL CASSEROLE

"A warm welcome awaits you at the Bennett House Bed & Breakfast. Located in the historic district of Old Town Manassas, the in is the perfect place for a couple to spend a very special weekend. This Victorian country inn offers many elegant reminders Virginia's genteel past." Virginia Bed & Breakfast Cookbook

Since I have never been to the Old Town Manassas I can not personally recommend the Bennett House B & B as a place to stay. What I can recommend is a recipe they shared in the cookbook I bought when we recently vacationed in VA. 

Our first morning back with an almost empty refrigerator I thought I would surprise my husband with the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Casserole that the Harrover's serve there. She said the dish was loved by low-cal eaters and that skim milk and sugar and salt substitutes could be used. I didn't bother using a sugar substitute since the recipe only called for 1/4 cup brown sugar.


 APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL CASSEROLE

2        cups milk or half & half (I did use skim milk)
1/4     cup packed brown sugar
1         tablespoon butter
1/2     teaspoon salt
1         cup quick-cooking oats
2        tablespoons cinnamon (optional) (I used 1 tablespoon)
1         cup chopped peeled apple (optional)
1/2     cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2     cup raisins (optional) (I used 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium casserole dish. (I used 

Combine milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cooking until butter is melted and combined, then remove from heat.

Put oats in casserole dish.
Stir in milk mixture,
cinnamon, apple, nuts, and raisins.








Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. (Twenty minutes was perfect for my size baking dish.)



No comments:

Post a Comment