Friday, June 17, 2016

SPICED FRUITY SPOON CAKE

The 90s have reached Kansas City. Temperature, that is. Because of this when I was trying to find a new recipe to try out on the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift this week, I looked in two cookbooks I have using slow cookers. One of them is my latest find at an estate sale I went to. It is called Busy People's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Dawn Hall.

Because of my Blankets of Hope (quilting group at my church PWUMC) meeting on the second Tuesday morning of the month, I volunteer on a different day at the thrift shop. It also usually means I work a different shift than the first one. This month I worked Monday the middle shift. That meant I had the morning to make my dessert before I went in. This recipe worked out great for that.

I mixed up the cake, put it in one of my slow cookers and 2 hours later it was done and I still had about an hour before I had to show up. That's the really nice thing about the slow cooker and also with this recipe. I just turned the dial to Keep Warm and it was so nice and warm when I served it at the thrift shop. I am used to dishing out servings and putting them on the table for people to come in and get one. I did that with a couple of extra ones and one of the volunteers suggested I just let people serve themselves (after I went to "work") because it was so good warm. Josh, the downstairs manager even commented how nice it was being warm. Dawn Hall says to just turn the slow cooker off and the cake will stay warm. If you do, leave the top on it with the paper towel. 


SPICED FRUITY SPOON CAKE

1       (16 - ounce) can light fruit cocktail (I used the one is natural juices)
2      egg whites (I used 1 egg)
1       (18.25 - ounce) box yellow cake mix (My cake mix was only a little over 16 ounces. A sugar-free one would work really well.)
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/3    cup flour

Preheat a slow cooker on High while mixing up cake. (about 10 minutes) I used a 3 quart oval slow cooker. Spray the cooker with nonfat cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, stir together the fruit cocktail with the juice, egg whites (or egg), cake mix, cinnamon, and flour until well mixed.
The batter will be thick.

Spoon the mixture in the slow cooker.

Place a paper towel over the cooker and put the lid of the cooker on top of the paper towel to cover.

Cook on High for 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve from the slow cooker. Do not invert this dessert. Use a large spoon to do this.


This cake was so moist and good. I can't wait to try some more of Dawn's recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment