Monday, June 6, 2016

PEACH-A-BERRY COBBLER

I love being able to get fresh fruit this time of the year. I ate a fresh peach the other night and it was so delicious! I wanted to buy some peaches to make this Peach-a-Berry Cobbler but decided I should use the frozen (fresh) peaches I had put in the freezer last year first. I also used stevia instead of sugar on the peach slices and used truvia brown sugar blend for the brown sugar. I do this to reduce the amount of sugar in my desserts. I did use sugar in the batter and on top. Feel free to use the "real thing" throughout the recipe if you prefer. I don't notice the difference in the finished dessert.

It looked so pretty when I took it out of the oven, I almost hated to dish some out. I said, "Almost". It really didn't take very long at all for me to get out two bowls and a big spoon so that my husband and I could enjoy it. 

Oh my gosh!! Talk about delicious! Actually
"delicious" is not strong enough. It was a 12 on a scale of 10. 


The recipe was contributed by Jane Stockstill from The United Methodist Women, First United Methodist Church in New Iberia, Louisiana in a cookbook called A 1992 Hometown Collection America's Best Recipes.



PEACH-A-BERRY COBBLER

3       cups sliced fresh peaches (I used 4 cups frozen fresh peaches, thawed)
1/4    cup stevia (or 1/4 cup sugar)
1/2    cup cold water
2       tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar blend (or 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar)
1        tablespoon cornstarch
1        cup fresh blueberries
1        tablespoon butter
1        tablespoon lemon juice
1        cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    cup sugar
1/2    cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/4    cup butter softened
2       tablespoons sugar
1/4    teaspoon ground nutmeg
whipped cream (I used whipped topping)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (I used a glass baking dish so I lowered the temperature to 325 degrees F.) Grease (or spray) a 2  - quart baking dish.


Combine peaches and 1/4 cup stevia in a medium bowl; stir well and set aside.


Combine water, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a large saucepan; stir well.
Stir in peach mixture and blueberries;
cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and lemon juice, stirring until butter melts.
Spoon fruit mixture into baking dish. Set aside.



Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium mixing bowl; stir well.
Add milk and 1/4 cup butter, beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.


Pour batter over reserved fruit mixture. (The batter was too thick to "pour". I took a teaspoon and dropped small amounts over fruit until the fruit was covered.)
Combine the 2 tablespoons of sugar and nutmeg in a small bowl;
sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
Bake for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve cobbler warm with whipping cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment