Monday, June 27, 2016

CAMPERS' BEANS

I used to make Baked Beans by a recipe that was called Stovetop Baked Beans. I don't remember where I saw the recipe....this was long time ago. I made them so often (every time we had pork 'n beans in fact) that I eventually forgot the recipe and just added the ingredients and didn't measure. I never just heated up a can of pork 'n beans though.

When I saw the recipe for Hearthland Barbecued Beef in my Gooseberry Patch 101 Homestyle Favorites cookbook, I also saw this recipe for Campers' Beans contributed by Janie Collins from Freeport, PA. I have to be honest and say I didn't really read the recipe that closely, I fell in love with the picture on the page. But when I started preparing them, I realized that it was my recipe (except for the vinegar) that I started out with ages ago.

Because it has been so hot lately, I decided to make mine in my slow cooker. They only have to simmer on the stove for 30 minutes, but I just didn't want to have to stand around and watch them. I also like that they will keep in the slow cooker until I am ready to eat.

I made them to go along with the beef and it sure was good. I don't know if baked beans are considered comfort food, but they are to me. 

You can decide if you want to prepare these in a slow cooker or on the stove. I will include my accommodations for the slow cooker. I also made a smaller version. I will include those amounts in parenthesis.



CAMPERS' BEANS

6 to 8      slices bacon (3 slices)
1               onion, chopped (I omitted)
1/4           cup brown sugar, packed (2 tablespoons)
1/4           cup catsup (2 tablespoons)
2              tablespoons mustard (1 tablespoon)
2              teaspoons vinegar (1 teaspoon)
2              32 - ounce cans baked beans (2 - 15 oz cans of pork 'n beans)

Empty cans of pork 'n beans in slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Add brown sugar, catsup, mustard, and vinegar and stir well.





Cook on High for 2 hours 




then add the cooked crumbled bacon on top 


Serve with slotted spoon. (You can always drain one can of the beans to have less liquid.)



If preparing on stove top, cook bacon in skillet. Can saute onions if using them in bacon grease.

Crumble bacon and drain on paper towels along with the onions. Combine the brown sugar, catsup, mustard, and vinegar in a large saucepan; simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in beans, bacon, and onion and simmer for at least 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. If desired, garnish with additional bacon.

I promise you if you try this once, you will never want to make baked beans any other way because it is so quick and easy and taste so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment