Friday, March 4, 2016

PEANUT BUTTER FINGERS

I have to be one of the luckiest people in the world .... at least at picking out recipes that are going to be fabulous. (I am lucky in other ways .... or I should say blessed!)

Once again I found another treat that was a huge success at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I know you are thinking, "The volunteers at this thrift shop probably are too nice to let her know if her desserts aren't good." They are really nice, but I can tell when they really, really like what I have brought that day. The day I brought these Peanut Butter Fingers was one of those days.

The original recipe has to be credited to Amanda Stutzman of Apple Creek, OH. I found it in Wanda E. Brunstetter's The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection.  I am so thankful for my dil Sara for giving me this cookbook for Christmas. I just keep finding more and more superb recipes in it. The Amish are such good cooks. I followed her recipe as it was given....except, I just noticed that I used 2 cups of dark chocolate chips instead of just 1 cup. I had been looking at another recipe that called for 2 cups and I think I just didn't look that closely at the recipe again. The two cups worked perfectly so I will leave it up to you.



PEANUT BUTTER FINGERS

1/2       cup butter or margarine
1/2       cup white sugar
1/2       cup brown sugar
1           egg
1/3       cup peanut butter
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/4       teaspoon salt
1           cup rolled oats (I used Old Fashioned)
1           cup flour
1           cup (6 - ounces) chocolate chips (I used 2 cups dark chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


Cream butter and sugars. (I softened the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds first.)


Blend in egg and peanut butter.


Add vanilla and dry ingredients that you have mixed together in a smaller bowl (baking soda, salt, oats, and flour).

Mix well.


Spread in pan. It doesn't look like there is enough batter. When it looks this way, I always drop batter into the bottom of the pan by spoonfuls leaving a little in the bowl to add at last where it is needed. I then spread then together.


Bake for 20 minutes. Edges will be brown.


Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chips over the top.


Using a spoon or spatula, continue to run it over the chips until they have all melted.



Allow to cool.






Prepare the peanut butter frosting.



PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING

1/2       cup powdered sugar
1/4       cup peanut butter
2 - 4    tablespoons milk


Sift the powdered sugar and add peanut butter stirring til well combined.

Add milk until it reaches the desired spreading consistency.    


2 tablespoons of milk....


3 tablespoons of milk....


4 tablespoons of milk....   







I wasn't sure what the desired consistency should be. I think I am happy with the 4 tablespoons as it was easy to pour on with a spoon and then "connect". You want to make sure the chocolate chip layer has cooled. I also didn't spread it completely to the edge.





No comments:

Post a Comment