Thursday, July 31, 2014

SKILLET CARROT AND PINEAPPLE CAKE

Believe it or not, but I actually didn't have a dessert in the house yesterday morning. The last sweet I made was peanut butter bars for the volunteers at Hillcrest last Friday night.  (I know I haven't shared the recipe with you yet.  Soon.

Tuesday, my husband took out a loaf of strawberry bread he found in the freezer. (He has gotten used to having something sweet in the house.)  It is really good, but it is just a little mini loaf and so it doesn't last very long.

Yesterday, I was looking through a couple of cookbooks looking for a recipe using meatballs. (Remember those 114 mini meatballs I made earlier this week?) Anyway, not having a lot of luck, I naturally ventured into the dessert sections.  That's when I saw Judy's Black Skillet Carrot and Pineapple Cake. I was looking in the Cooking Made Plumb Easy cookbook from Jay R. Smith Manufacturing Co. in Montgomery, AL that I got at an estate sale. Judy was Judy Dixon who worked in Accounting.

I love my iron skillets - I have 6 or 7, all different sizes.  Judy didn't say which size iron skillet to use or how much powdered sugar to use for the glaze. I decided to use my 10 - inch skillet and just a cup of powdered sugar.  It worked out perfectly!

I also love carrot cake but hate all of the calories. This recipe looked interesting because it didn't use a cream cheese frosting (so many calories) and didn't have that much sugar. I still reduced the calories though by using the sugar/stevia blend. Judy's recipe called for 2/3 cup oil, but I only used 1/3 cup oil + 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce. I think it would taste really good with nuts, but the recipe didn't call for them. (and that would add more calories)  I am anxious to make this again though when I have a group over and I may include about 1/2 cup chopped nuts.



SKILLET CARROT AND PINEAPPLE CAKE

1-1/2    cups flour (I mixed all-purpose and white whole wheat flour)
1           cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia baking blend)
1           teaspoon baking powder
1           teaspoon baking soda
1           teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon salt
1           cup grated carrots
1           cup crushed pineapple, drained and separated (two 1/2 cups)
1/3       cup canola oil
1/3       cup natural applesauce (no sugar added)
2          eggs
1           cup powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a ten-inch iron skillet.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt with a whisk.


Add the carrots, 1/2 cup pineapple, oil, applesauce, and eggs.


Stir with a whisk or wooden spoon.


Pour batter into iron skillet.


Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.


Prepare a glaze by mixing the other half cup of crushed pineapple with the powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl.


Pour glaze over the top of the cake after removing it from the oven spreading it out evenly.


Allow the glaze to seep into the cake before cutting it.





Cover leftovers and store in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment