Thursday, May 15, 2014

DEB'S STRAWBERRY BREAD

Since I learned how to make my strawberries last longer, I will be sharing several different recipes I have made using strawberries over the next days.  (I went back to Aldi's today and got 4 more 16 - oz containers since they were still on special for 99 cents a container.)

This recipe for strawberry bread was contributed by Deb Herman in A Taste of Mission Trail cookbook.  It was a cookbook compiled for Mission Trail Elementary School.  They labeled every recipe either Easy, Average, or Complicated.  This one was labeled Easy, which means it doesn't require a lot of time or skill.

Deb used frozen strawberries, but I had some fresh ones I wanted to use.  I actually made several changes with Deb's recipe, which I show in italics.  You will have the choice to make it Deb's way or Patricia's way.  I loved the results of Patricia's way.....just saying.

Remember the print friendly button at the bottom of the post will allow you to remove the images.  I started this blog using lots of pictures and I can't seem to quit.  Every time I decide to quit, a friend will tell me they love all my pictures


DEB'S STRAWBERRY BREAD

1-1/2       cups flour
1             cup sugar (1/2 cup truvia baking blend)
1-1/2       teaspoon cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
1/2          teaspoon salt
1/2          teaspoon baking soda
2             eggs, beaten
1/2          cup oil
1             cup frozen strawberries, thawed (1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped + 1 tablespoon stevia)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a loaf pan, (8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches).

If using fresh strawberries as I did....Chop enough strawberries to make 1 cup.  Sprinkle with stevia and let set for at least 15 minutes to make some juice/syrup.




Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

In a smaller mixing bowl, beat the eggs in the oil.

Add the strawberries.

Add the berry/egg mixture to the dry ingredients.

Pour the batter in the prepared loaf pan.

Sprinkle with coarse sugar. (I didn't have any coarse sugar and just used granulated sugar.)

Bake 50 - 60 minutes.  (I baked mine about 53 minutes and checked doneness with a toothpick inserted in the middle.)

Cool 10 minutes and then remove from pan.






Wrap in foil to store.

UPDATE:  I made this recipe again but made 2 mini loaves.  I baked them for about 40 minutes and stuck a toothpick in the center to check if they were done.  Then I wrapped them individually in foil and froze them for later (I was still finishing up the other big loaf.)  This is really a good recipe and one I am sure I will be making often when I have fresh strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment